

Minutes Semi-Annual General Member Meeting

Date: 10-02-2021

Time: 7 pm

Location: Zoom

Speaker: Maud Weijers

Minute taker: Lieke Verhoofstad

Present: Klaas Kant, Sanni Granqvist, Dominiuqe Paulissen, Suzanne Klein Wolterink, Niek van de Minkelis, Max Ploemen, Dylan Zeevaart, Quirijn Somers, Thijs Buisman, Tessa Stolte, Annabel Stegeman, Lucas Hendrix, Govend Salih, Job Coehorst, Maartje Slot, Ciska Korff, Susanne Luijff, Maud Hagens, Eline Giesbers, Tijn Derks + 32nd board

Agenda

1. Opening
2. Setting the agenda
3. Announcements
4. Approval of the minutes of previous GMM (14-09-2020)
5. Proposal change of House Regulations
6. Vote on House Regulations
7. Results Semi-Annual Survey
8. Presentation Semi-Annual Report '20-'21
9. Statement of the Advisory Board
10. Vote on Semi-Annual Report '20-'21
11. W.C.T.M
12. Question Round
13. Closing

Opening

Maud welcomes everyone at 7.02 pm. If anyone has a question, it is preferable to use the raise hands function of Zoom. Maud can see the raised hands and will let you ask your question. The board is sitting in pairs during the GMM. We try to finish the GMM before the curfew.

Setting the agenda

In the agenda, the last bullet point is 'conclusion'. This will be adjusted to 'closing'.

Announcements

Website: At this moment, we are again experiencing some technical issues with the website. It is not possible to accept the new website accounts. Lieke is trying to fix everything, but it seems to be quite difficult. Therefore, it might take a while, but we are working on it.

Board Interest Presentation: The activity went quite well. We are satisfied with how it went and the number of people that showed up (nine). Everyone was able to ask all questions they had. Dylan and Thijs were also present to answer questions and fill gaps about a normal board year. Some people who were present at the Board Interest Presentation are also present at this GMM.

Approval of the minutes of previous GMM (14-09-2020)

Total number of voters: 27

Vote in favour: 18

Vote against: 0

Blanc vote: 1

Withhold: 6 (32nd board)

The minutes are hereby approved.

Proposal change of House Regulations

We had the idea of changing the House Regulations. The House Regulations are about the Advisory Board and we want to adjust article 2, clause 1d. Now it says that only people who have played an active role within Babylon can have a spot in the Advisory Board. The sentence is stated as follows: "The members must have played an active role within Babylon". We want to make it possible for an external (former) board member of another study association to join our Advisory Board. An external board member has a fresh look, is not biased and can give input about things they do or did differently. We think we can only learn and therefore benefit from it.

Suzanne: Does everyone know what the Advisory Board entails?

Maud: The Advisory Board is a committee that advises the current board. We send the minutes of the board meeting to the Advisory Board. They give feedback, check-up how everything is going, and remind us about things we did not know. They also tell how they did certain things, which might help us making certain decisions.

An external member might have a fresh look on these topics. Therefore, we propose to change the article 2, clause 1d to the following sentence: "There is room for one external member who is or has been a board member of another study association. All other members must have played an active role within Babylon".

Dylan: Does that mean that there will still be six spots in the Advisory Board or will there be an extra spot for the external member?

Maud: That is a good question. We did not think about that. It might be nice to still have six Babylon members in the Advisory Board.

Suzanne: If you want to change it to seven members, we should vote on that too. We decided to have six members in the Advisory Board in total, because that is more than enough. I would leave it like this, so five members of Babylon and one external member.

Do: On the other hand, Most boards exist of six people. If you want to give everyone a chance to be in there, you should do 7

Suzanne; They can also be voted out of the Advisory board, so it is not that always every board member gets a spot in the Advisory Board.

Max: Because you are not certain now, it might better to think about it with the board and vote on this it another time.

Maud: Yes, we will do so and we skip the voting on that now.

Vote on House Regulations

There has not been a voting on the House Regulations

Results Semi-Annual Survey

We quickly want to get over some things in the survey that stood out and will not discuss everything.

Dominique: The total of 57 people who filled in the survey was not in the report. Maybe, you can add that?

Maud: We will do so.

There were 57 respondents in total. This is less than previous year, but it still gives a nice insight in what members think. 15 of the respondents were international students and there were respondents of every year layer.

International students

Renee takes the floor.

Out of the 15 international students who filled out the survey, 2/3 was aware of the existence of the international WhatsApp group. They evaluated it positively and find they got a warm welcome. 2/3 of the international members who filled out the survey is part of the WhatsApp group. In the survey was indicated that if they were not part of the group chat, they could send an email so we could send them the access link, but we did not get any emails. 3/4 was aware of the Dutch lessons, but not all of them participated. The ones that did participate in the Dutch lessons, liked it and wanted it to continue, which we will do. Only 5 of them participated in the Orientation Week, so we cannot conclude much out of that.

Maud takes the floor again.

First-year students

All of them have indicated that they want us to organise an activity for first year students only. They said that they find it scary to join online activities, because they do not know most people and they would like to get to know other first-year students. They did not indicate what kind of activity they want. Most of them said that they would attend the activity if it is online as well. Now we are thinking of a date and activity. We are working on ideas now.

Suzanne: Do you have a plan on how you want to promote this activity?

Maud: We have to think about that when we think about what exactly we want to do. They indicated that they follow our social media, but maybe we can also promote it via another way. For example by texting them personally or via the study advisor. We will put effort in reaching out to them. We still have to think how exactly are we going to do so.

Online activities

People thought there is a good balance between formal and informal. Last year, members said that the activities were too informal. The balance is better now, so we are glad to see that. They indicated that there is a good amount of activities and enough variation. Obviously, the online activities are less visited than physical activities. In general, these are simply nicer than online activities. Still, we are satisfied with the number of participants that showed up in most activities.

The communication should be slightly more sometimes, so we will try to do so. We started doing so in the Active Members WhatsApp group. We sent weekly overviews with the upcoming activities. The Babylon group on Facebook can be used more. The most important reason not to join an activity appeared to be that it is uncomfortable to attend an online activity. This was mainly the reason not to join for first-year students.

Babylon Magazine

We have changed the Babylon Magazine this year. 2/3 of the respondents has read the magazine. The Babylon Magazine was delivered a few days before the survey was sent, so maybe not everyone had the chance to already read it. Most did notice a difference in content and design. Not everyone saw a change, but first-year students have not received Babylon Magazines in the old style, so they had nothing to compare with. More than half of the respondents indicated that they read all articles. 33% said that they mostly read the informal articles.

Online version

We asked if we would make an online version of the BM, people would still read it, would prefer to have an online version or prefer to receive a printed version. Some people would like it better to have an online version, but others really would not. Therefore, we go with both versions for the next edition, so we still send a printed version to everyone and we publish it on the website. This way, we can see if people really want to read it online.

Other

In the survey, we asked some questions about mental health problems. We felt that it was not appropriate to discuss these results here. We will give these results to the study advisor so they know about it and they can do something with it.

11 people indicated that they were interested in doing a board year, which is quite nice.

Presentation Semi-Annual Report '20-'21

Eline enters the meeting

We will not explain everything of the Semi-Annual Report, but the important or remarkable things will be discussed.

1 Proceedings in long-term goals of Babylon

1.1.2 international members

There were less international students than usual and also less active international members. In the end, still 12 international members became an Active Member. We are satisfied with that number.

Dominique: What I missed was how you think the promotion of Babylon went in the Orientation Week. How many active members became interested in becoming an active member and are there often first-year and international students present at activities?

Marlon: In my personal piece, something is stated about the Committee Market. There are eight active first-year students. Often, five international members show up per activity.

Dominique: You should also add that to the first part because it is part of the Orientation Week evaluation.

Maud: We will add it.

1.1.3 (Pre-)masters

There were less active (pre-)master members than last year. Last year, there were 24 active (pre-)masters and this year only nine. This might be because the pre-master students were not included in bachelors Orientation Week. We did not had that much of a change to promote ourself to them. We are not too unhappy with the number of active pre-masters.

Suzanne: Do you have any recommendations on how to promote yourself more? It does not necessarily need to be in this report, but it needs to be in the annual report.

Maud: We are still not sure what the next Orientation Week will look like. It will depend on that as well. Marlon started her meetings about is the pre-masters are included in the regular Orientation Week of not. We have to look how we are going to do this and we will make sure to put it in the Annual Report and pass it on to the next board.

Max: I have a question about another part of the report. It is about the part Communication Tools. You say that some people still use the old email address. How long are you planning on keeping them?

Maud: We wanted to see how many emails are coming from the old address. We will email everyone who sends an email to the old email addresses. At the end of the year, we will look how much it is still being used. It is only 12 euros a year, so it is not that much, but it will depend on how much it is still being used.

Max: Okay. In the Annual Report you should include an advice for the next board.

1.2.3 Maintaining the corporate identity

In the beginning of the year, we indicated that all committees had to use the Babylon layout for a PowerPoint presentation. It happened twice that an informal committee made a PowerPoint with another layout than the Babylon layout. We have talked about it and accepted that. For the formal activities, it is important that they use the Babylon layout for the professional identity to external parties. For informal committees, it is fine if the PowerPoint is not in the original Babylon layout. The committees like to make a PowerPoint themselves, so we think it is fine if they do so. For the upcoming semester, informal committees are allowed to make their own PowerPoint.

1.2.5 The Babylon Room

The Babylon Room has been closed the past couple of months. Before it has been fully closed, people could make an appointment. We were present when the appointment was made. Appointments had to be made at least 24 hours in advance. It was possible for members to pick up merch, packages for activities, presents for the Member of the Month etc. That worked very well. We hope this will be possible again soon. If we can re-open the Babylon, we will do it straight away.

1.3.2 Study and student associations

Sister associations

Sister associations are the study associations for CIS in other cities in the Netherlands. We can help each other out with certain problems or find new inspiration for activities, for example. We now decided that if there is a nice formal activity, organised by one of the sister associations, members of other sister associations can also attend that meeting if it is online. Every 6 weeks, there is a meeting with the sister associations. We discuss things that are happening within our associations and things we are struggling with and we give each other feedback. Some quite useful tips have already been given there. We had planned a Sisters Day. Normally, there are two Sisters Days in a year to bond. The one that was planned halfway October was cancelled. We are now waiting with planning a new one, because it is too unsure to organise something. The contact with the sister associations goes well.

Inglorious

There has not been an Inglorious party yet, because it was not possible to organise it. When the pubs were opened, only 30 people could be there, which means only a couple of people from each association could visit the party. Right now, Marlon is talking with the other associations to think of an activity they can organise together online.

Prom

The Prom will be different this year. We will only organise it with Postelein. Sam will get back to this later.

NDC

The NDC committee has started organising the event. Renée will talk about this more later on. So far, it goes well. The sister associations are invited and they said to promote the NDC as well.

Dylan: For the BaMyPo and Inglorious parties, is there already an idea for an online alternative?

Marlon: We are planning a meeting right now. At first, the other associations wanted to make their members enthusiastic about their own activities before organising activities with other associations. Now, they will start discussing some ideas. They hope to plan one or two activities next semester.

Dylan: Then I think you should add BaMyPo to the report, you only said something about Inglorious.

Marlon: We will do so.

1.3.4 Sustainability

Sustainability was going to be our big project. When we were planning the Study Trip and were looking for possibilities, they really tried to look for places to which we could travel to by train. We decided that we will not go outside the Netherlands, because we will not be able to do so. We are also in touch with the Green Office. If we have questions, we will reach out to them. We now know who to reach. We have also signed the sustainability covenant. Babylon is bearing in mind sustainability. For the Meet and Greet at beginning of the year, we bought whiteboards. Normally we would use paper, but these whiteboards are reusable and can be used in the upcoming years. On Instagram, we just started a new rubric: Eco-Friendly Friday. With this rubric, we give tips and we make the posts interactive, to make everyone more aware of sustainability. Those are the biggest things we were able to do so far. When organising online activities, it is hard to be sustainable, because you do not use a lot of material. Unfortunately, we did not really get the chance to do more. Therefore, we now started with the rubric on Instagram. For the physical activities, we will definitely keep sustainability in mind.

Susanne: Maybe it is an idea to make a document for the next board with all your ideas about sustainability, so you can pass it on.

Maud: That is a good idea. We will take it with us for all our advices for the next board.

1.4.1 Keeping in touch with sponsors

Renée takes the floor.

Renee found it challenging to come in contact and remain contact with sponsors, since you cannot go by and they often do not pick up the phone, because they are not always present at the office. Now, she managed to come in contact with everyone.

All but two sticker deals have been extended. FIKA and Popocatepetl could not continue this collaboration, but wanted to be contacted again when COVID-19 is over. During the FGMM, we already discussed some things about StageMax. They do not want to sponsor this year and we are not sure if we recommend the next board to contact them again for sponsoring.

The Rabobank, our main sponsor, said they might not sponsor us anymore next year. Even though they have said this before and still continued the sponsorship the past years, Renée is looking into other sponsors. She contacted new companies. So far, she contacted multiple marketing and communication companies in Nijmegen. In the next week, she will also contact companies outside Nijmegen. Also, she want to search for companies in other branches. This has not been mentioned in the report. Renée might introduce a sponsor package. She had a meeting with a board member of FLOW, our sister association from Tilburg. They also struggled with finding sponsors. They now work with sponsor packages, in which we can offer social media attention, a spot in the BM and we can mention them on the website. Depending on which package they choose, a certain amount of money needs to be paid. The packages still need to be realised.

Only one company responded positively on this so far. They said that they might be interested and were going to discuss it during their board meeting. Renée will continue her search for new sponsors.

Sticker deals

There are two new sticker deals. One is with Fresca and the other one with the Fresh factory. For the Fresh Factory, members were able to vote for the smoothie they wanted to become the Babylon Smoothie via a poll on Instagram stories.

The newest sticker deal is with Fresca. The deal has been accomplished this month. If members buy one hot drink, they get an extra hot drink for free. A nice thing is that only one member has to show their sticker. The survey showed that members are happy with the current sticker deals, but wanted to have more formal sticker deals as well. Renée will look into that next semester.

1.4.3 Business Gift

Our business gift is a personalised Tony Chocolonely. So far, we have handed it out a few times, for example after CIS in the Field and the Workshop. We received a few nice reactions on this.

2 General Affairs

2.1 SOFv & LETO

LETO is the umbrella association of the Faculty of Arts and SOFv is the umbrella association of all study associations in Nijmegen. Maud and Alyce attended the General Member Meetings of them. SOFv has been working on COVID-19 guidelines for the whole university. There was a big difference between the faculties and how strict they were regarding the COVID-19 measurements. Maud and Marlon have worked on this together with other associations. A couple of days ago, we received the final document. We can start using it right now.

Maud and Alyce were not present at all General Member Meetings of SOFv and LETO. They missed one from LETO, because we were not included in their mailing list, so we did not get an invitation. They sent the most important things and we read the minutes well. We will make sure this will not happen again.

2.2 Advisory Board

We are happy with how the contact with the Advisory Board goes. At times, the relationship between the board and the Advisory Board in last couple of years was not as nice as it is now. We learn a lot from them and we appreciate their feedback.

2.4 Change of the board

This year, we will use the Application Committee again to advise the board about the composition of the next board. The Application Committee has already been formed and exists of five members. Maud (Chair of the current board), Renée (vice-chair of the current board), Quirijn (a former board member), Suzanne (member of the Advisory Board) and Anna (external member of Postelein) will be in the Application Committee. Until so far, the contact with and within the Application Committee is very good. One meeting with the Application Committee has taken place, in which they discussed what they are going to do and discuss the application procedure.

The necessary proficiencies in Dutch for the next year is as follows:

- Chair: B1
- Secretary: C1 (the Secretary receives a lot of Dutch emails, so a good understanding and professional writing is important)
- Treasurer: B1
- Commissioner of Internal Affairs: No proficiency in Dutch
- Commissioner of External Affairs: C1 (sponsors and external parties prefer to talk in Dutch)
- Commissioner of Activities: No proficiency in Dutch

2.5 Board grants.

The board gets a financial compensation for doing all our tasks. This is called the board grants. The amount of money we receive is based on the amount of members, activities, how well visited they are etc. This is decided on every two years. We had to do a test and fill in documents in order to decide the amount of money the next two boards get. The next two boards will get 30 board grants, which is slightly more than we received this year, so that is positive.

2.6 Social media

Lieke takes the floor.

LinkedIn

We wanted to be more active on LinkedIn and succeeded in that. Announcements of new sticker deals, new collaborations and vacancies were posted on LinkedIn. Renée searched for interesting articles that had to do with communication to post on LinkedIn. We will continue to do so.

Dylan: Did you see any new chances by using LinkedIn more and do you get much response?

Renée: There is not a big increase in reactions. It also depends on the type of post. The video of the Babylon Band received much positive feedback.

Facebook

For every event, we created a Facebook event. The whole board tried to invite as much Babylon members to the Babylon group as possible. The Facebook group is used less often than previous years. Every now and then, we posted a reminder in the group. We did post a reminder for each event on Instagram story. We will try to use the Facebook group more often. The better the promotion, the better visited an activity probably is.

Instagram

We made an Instagram post for each activity that was about to take place. This worked very well. We have 660 followers on Instagram. Most people see our activities via Instagram. The Member of the Month is also posted on Instagram. People sometimes reposted it in their story, so it is nice to see that they are proud.

We started with weekly rubrics on the Instagram story. Every Friday, the Guess the Babylonian rubric was posted to interact more with our followers and to stay in touch with our members. Now, we have a new rubric: Eco-Friendly Friday, which started last week. This way, we want to give members more insight in sustainable options. We want to vary in these posts (quiz, sustainable tips, options)

Niek: I like the rubrics and the idea of Eco-Friendly Friday. Is it possible to imply some more rubrics, because they are really fun? If it is possible, I would like to see more rubrics

Lieke: We have some space in the media planning for the upcoming weeks, so we will look into that in the coming weeks.

Content

The content posted on social media is mostly made by the Graphic Design Committee. They made the Instagram posts for the activities. Lieke made the posts for announcements of new sticker deals, the rubrics and the Member of the Month posts. Most promotion texts were written by the committee members. For other things, that needed to be written, the board wrote the texts together. This way, Lieke did not have to do it all by herself. Sometimes, there were some flaws in the texts. The Advisory board or a fellow board member corrected these mistakes. Now, we check the content more carefully, so less flaws appear.

Style

At the beginning of the academic year, we tried to create a new style in our posts. We wanted to accomplish that it looks more professional and appealing. For the Member of the Month, there is a standard format to ensure all these posts look the same. Lieke discussed with the Graphic Design Committee to use the same colour codes for orange and blue to create a Babylon theme. We received some compliments about the new feed, so we want to continue with that.

Max: I want to give you a compliment about how the Instagram looks like. I also have a tip for you. You should write down the colour codes so other board will use the same colours.

2.7 Website

The 31st board created new website and we wanted to attract more people to the website. Members have to sign up via the website. This works easily, so we recommend next board to keep doing so. The Zoom links to the meetings were also posted on the website and we did not face any problems with that. We wanted to update the news page often, but forgot to do so most of the times. We will keep this in mind for the next semester.

At the beginning of the year, the website crashed when the sign-up for the borrel started. Smallhold fixed this for us. It also occurred that we were no longer able to log in to the website. We contacted Smallhold again and they made sure the problem was solved quickly. The contact with them goes smoothly. At the moment, there are still some difficulties, because we can no longer approve new website accounts. Lieke had contact with Niek, but they have not found a solution yet. Lieke is now in contact with Wordpress and hopes they can fix it.

Dylan: I was wondering how it is going regarding posting the Committee Games on the website?

Marlon: It is not going that well. In the beginning, the committees were quite motivated, but the last weeks, it is not really going very well. It is hard to come up with creative challenges when everything has to be online.

Dylan: I know it is quite hard. Do you keep putting them on the website?

Nikki: Maybe it is an idea to post an Instagram story when the new challenge is online?

Maud: For now, we just stick to the website. We think people are more likely to see a WhatsApp message than an Instagram story.

Dylan: Maybe you can give the committees more time and do a challenge every two weeks.

Maud: That is a very good idea. We will look into this.

3 Chair

Maud takes the floor.

3.1 General tasks and responsibilities

Coordinating the board

Maud can say everything goes very well. Everyone is taking care of their tasks and we have not faced many big problems. Everyone puts a lot of effort in their tasks and we get along very well.

Suzanne: In your part, I missed the evaluation talks with the chairs of the committees.

Maud: That is indeed correct. It is a good idea to put it in there, so I will add it.

Board meetings

Every Tuesday, for the past half year, we have had a board meeting. This is going very well and we have not skipped any week. Sometimes the meeting had to be rescheduled. Maud had been a bit late to some of the board meeting, which resulted in that someone else had to call her to wake her up. After Maud was talked to about this, it went better. The agenda also has been late a couple of times, but that also goes better the past couple of months.

Monitoring all activities

Maud has to be well informed about what is all going to take place. All committees need to send the minutes to Maud, so she keeps up to date. Not all of the committees do so. Everyone asked their committee secretary again to send it to Maud. It has improved since, but Maud still does not receive all minutes. Therefore, we will ask them once more. Otherwise, the coordinators can send it to Maud.

3.3 Babylon Band

The Babylon Band it is something new. The idea was proposed by two enthusiastic members, prior to the Orientation Week. Some associations already had a band. There are a lot of musically talented people within Babylon and we liked the idea. After the Orientation Week, we promoted it via social media and in the Babel. In total, there were nine responses. Unfortunately, we could not give everyone a spot in the band. There were four people setting it up and in total, there are now seven people are in the band. Members are from all year layers and there is one international member. So far, it goes really well. They have been rehearsing a couple of times. The past couple of months, this was unfortunately not allowed. Sometimes people get together to have a jam session to

stay in touch. Friendships have arisen from the band, so that is nice. Somewhere at the end of this year, we hope they can play during activities. We hope that next year, there will become new band members

Suzanne: I was wondering what your plans are for next year? How many of you are leaving the band and will there be auditions? Who is going to be responsible for the band? And what if next board has nothing to do with making music?

Maud: We are not sure yet who is leaving. This depends on who is going to graduate. If no one from the next board wants to take it over, we have to find if someone who is part from the band wants to do this. Maud will help with the recruitment of new members. We can again promote via the Babbel and via social media. Maud can help with the transition to next year and then we will just see how it goes.

Suzanne: Make sure someone is the contact point from the board to ask questions and that someone is involved with it. I like the band, it was a great idea!

Niek: I have a small point. In the Semi-Annual Report, you said you want to go on a vacation with the band. I think it is not really appropriate to put it in there.

Maud: With saying that, I wanted to show that everyone is getting along very well and they really have a bond together. However, I get your point, maybe it is inappropriate to put it in there, so I will remove it.

4 Secretary

Lieke takes the floor

4.1 General tasks & responsibilities

Most of these things speak for themselves. We made another division than previous years regarding the trainings for committee members. Lieke gave the promotion training this year to all promotion members of the committees instead of the Commissioner of Activities. This seemed more logical to us, since Lieke posts all things on social media. She organised three meetings in total, to ensure everyone was able to attend one meeting. In the meetings, she explained what was expected from them and how they can send requests for banners to the Graphic Design Committee. Next to the promotion training, Lieke also provided secretary trainings. We would advise the board to let the promotion training be provided by the Secretary as well.

4.3 Minutes

At the beginning of the year, there were often grammar and spelling mistakes in the minutes. The board did not really carefully check the minutes. The Advisory Board told us there were often quite some mistakes and told us that we have to check it better. Now, we have discussed that two members remove all the mistakes in the minutes. The other board members still check the minutes but only have to check their own updates content-wise. Sometimes, Lieke was a bit late with spreading the minute. She tries to avoid that and send them in time to the Advisory Board.

4.4 Email, website & social media

Most things have been discussed before. The old email addresses are still available. It appeared that you do not get a notification if an email is send to the old email address

and is redirected to the new email address. This means that it is not immediately visible if an email is sent to the old or new email address. After a month, Lieke checked the old email address and made a list of all parties that had sent an email to the old email address. She emailed them back and asked if they could put our right email address in their registration. In the next semester, she will send another reminder if necessary. Hopefully they will adjust it then.

4.5 Graphic Design Committee

Not all committee members had experience with designing. At the beginning of the year, there was an InDesign and Photoshop workshop organised by SOFv. Lieke sent the documents of this workshop to every committee member, so everyone was able to do it themselves, as we were not allowed to visit the workshop with all committee members.

Babylon Magazine

Two editions of the magazine have been published by now. The first edition was still made by the committee of last year in the old style. The committee of this year edited the second edition. We are pleased with how it looks like. The design changed in multiple ways. The shape is now a rectangle instead of a square. We used more white space, which resulted in the magazine looking more calm and professional. Three committee members worked at the design of the magazine. We are happy with how it looks like and got a lot of compliments on the magazine.

At this moment, we started designing the next edition of the magazine. We wanted to involve the whole committee a bit more. Therefore, we want to make a sketch, send it to the committee and ask them for feedback.

The next edition will also be available online. Making an online version does not cost more effort, because BladNL can automatically convert the PDF version of the magazine into an online version. This is also stated in the contract with BladNL, so Lieke will make sure the magazines will be available online soon.

5 Treasurer

Sam takes the floor.

5.1 Budget

5.1.1 Revenue

We miscalculated the member contribution. We thought we would approximately have 540 members this year, but a lot of them signed out just before the debit. 26 people did not have a bank number in the administration. These people still have not paid the membership fee. The study advisor emailed the people whose contact information we are missing. 20 of them are not a student anymore. We try to come in contact with them, but it is not sure whether this will work. We contacted them via email and Facebook, but received no response.

5.1.2 Expenditure

InDesign was added to the budget. Last year, the board both used Adobe for private reasons. We did not think it was fair to let Lieke pay for it herself. It costs €175,- and we also bought a Workshop with it for the committee. We still hope that the Constitution Drink can take place. There is not a really big chance, but we are holding on to it in the budget. I will show the budget in a few minutes.

5.5 Study Trip Committee

We quickly knew that it was not possible to go outside the Netherlands. Therefore, the committee has not met for a few weeks and started again with meeting after the last exam week. We aim for a trip in the Netherlands and wanted to choose a certain place in the Netherlands to stay, which became Groningen. This way, we do not have to travel that much. The Study Trip will take place from 3 - 6 May.

Dominique: In the report, I expected some more elaboration. You faced more difficulties with this committee, so check that part again and elaborate more.

Sam: I will do so.

5.6 Prom Committee

We decided to split up the study associations that normally organised the Prom together. We chose to organise the Prom only with Postelein. We were aiming at having a dinner in De Waagh, but that was not possible, so we collaborated with 'Proeflokaal Bregje' and organised an online dinner. We hope that we can still organise it in real life. There are now 40 sign-ups for the dinner.

5.7 Merchandise

We added a new hoodie to the Merchandise. During the first batch, we sold 32 pieces and in the second, we sold 7 more. The new item has been a success so far.

Financial status

The income from the memberships is €7000 instead of €7700. Sam talked with the Till Committee about the amount of sponsorship he had to budget. The expected amount of sponsor money from Oubaha is put to zero, because we think that less activities can take place there. About the contribution to the committee shirts. Normally, we pay €5,- per shirt. We thought this would be more expensive, but there are less active members and not every committee wants a shirt, so the costs will be lower. The office supplies probably will not have to be bought, but maybe if the Babylon Room reopens, we need it, so it is still in the budget now.

Committees

For the Prom Committee, Study Trip Committee and the Weekend Committee, we budgeted money. These costs will go to zero when the activity does not take place.

We had to pay for the Domino's cards of last year and we needed to pay for the extra costs of putting the cards in the magazines again this year. We hope the Constitution Drink can take place, but if the regulations stay the same, the budget will also get to zero. We used only €196,- for the Active Member Activity, which is slightly less than budgeted. The budget for the business gifts will stay the same as well as for the website. We could not provide a lunch during the Board Interest Presentation, so we saved that money. The semi-annual GMM is online, so this also does not cost us money. During Sinterklaas and Christmas, the Babylon Room was closed, so we did not spend any money on decoration. All in all, we have €195.30 as a remain, if everything stays like this.

Dylan: I was wondering if some of the expenses do not need to be made, you can do other things with it. Did you plan on translating the Statutes?

Sam: Currently, we do not have that much money left. Maud and Renée will have a lot of time the next semester, so they will translate the Statutes themselves. The Dutch Statutes are then applicable, but we have an English version as well. It would be very expensive to let the Statutes being translated.

Dylan: That is a great solution.

Statement of the Till Committee

Maartje takes the floor.

We like how Sam is doing so far. It is hard to predict how the budget will end. We advised him to come up with a worst case scenario budget. We can see a bit better how much money will be left then. We can, for example, use the remainder for another big expense. Furthermore, financially, everything is going very well. We do not have anything to be worried about.

* Pause from 7.56 – 8.05 pm*

6 Commissioner of Internal Affairs

Alyce takes the floor.

6.1 Consolidate the link between Babylon and the study programme

We sent an e-card to all teachers at the day of the teachers. We were not able to give them a present at the university. If the regulations allow it, we still want to give them a present. We thanked lectures who have retired, by sending them a card and a Merci, which they appreciated it a lot.

6.4 Education Committee

At the moment, the committee is working on their next event. They also started preparing CIS in the Field. The Committee helps during the open days by answering questions students have or by making sure there are CIS students present to give a small presentation. They will be there during the study choice check day. The Study Afternoons have not taken place, because the university was closed. We have thought about a substitute event and said in our policy that it could be possible to organise the activity online. However, we did not do so, because the study advisors organised an online intensive study break, which was not visited well.

6.5. Committee of Formal Activities

The first online company visit of this year already took place. There were 3 speakers from Archetype, a PR agency and the activity was a great success. More company visits will be arranged soon.

Dominique: I think in the report, the evaluation of Archetype was rather short. We know that a lot of people did not show up, so you should add that. There also is a mistake in the section about the book sales.

6.6 Publication Committee

The content of the BM mainly changed in terms of the more personal touch it has now. Members could contribute to the magazine, for example by sharing their experiences,

recommendations etc. The Publication Committee wants to have a good balance between formal and informal articles. The committee added themes to certain pages. There are some formal pages, some informal ones and there is a puzzle about a subject. Also, there are some pages about Babylon. Moreover, there was tried to add more humour to the magazine by adding a meme page or a quiz. We suggest to adjust a sentence in the Semi-Annual Report. There were some difficulties in the committee and the person concerning asked to mention it shorter and less detailed. It will not change a lot, but we will adjust it.

6.7 Summaries

We started a collaboration with a company who sells summaries: Stuvia. Members indicated that they want more study related support. Athena Summaries offered us a collaboration last year, however, this year they did not have summaries for our studies. Stuvia did, so we started a collaboration with them. Students can have a 10% discount on summaries.

6.8 Alumni

Alyce has access to the LinkedIn group for Alumni. Via LinkedIn she contacted some Alumni for CIS in the Field or when they were to arrange a Company Visit. Most alumni are happy to help and it is very helpful that Alyce has access to the group.

Commissioner of External Affairs

Renée takes the floor.

7.1 Sponsors

Only the Financial General Member Meeting took place at De Waagh. The amount of sponsor money we receive, is based on the activities we organise there, so this will probably have great consequences. Renée will contact him to ask what they expect the amount of money will be.

Dominique: I have a question about StageMax. I am not sure if I misunderstood, but the reason they did not want to sponsor anymore was because of COVID-19, is said in the report at the beginning, but later on you say something else. What is the exact reason?

Renée: It was a speculation. I only changed it in one part, but I will do so too in the other part. We do not know exactly why they stopped.

7.3 Career Committee

The Workshop was quite successful. We received positive reactions. The person who presented it, also liked it a lot. The committee has been busy organising the Guest Lecture and the Career Event. It has appeared to be more challenging to reach the companies and to come in contact with speakers. This had consequences on the motivation of the committee members. All meetings had to be online. With the chair of the committee, we decided to meet every week and said that if the committee feels unmotivated, they had to tell us. Currently, there are 4 speakers for Career Event and they are still in contact with one other person.

7.4 Congress Committee

The committee will organise the NDC with Mycelium. The theme will be 'Changing Communication'. It will be about influencers, fake news etc.

Suzanne: In the report, it states that the theme is already set, but we decide not on that yet. Besides, I do not know where, but there are some mistakes in English and there are some weird sentences. Please check that again.

Renée: I will do so.

The NDC probably will need to take place online, so we have to find an online alternative. One member of Mycelium decided to quit the committee after a few weeks, as she was not motivated. The committee is quite big, so it goes well without her.

7.5 International Committee

The committee is still quite new and they are still figuring out some things. The committee organised an Information Session at the beginning of the year. Due to bad promotion and bad timing, there was no one present. A lot of new internationals joined the WhatsApp group, so we can reach them. The Dutch lessons were shared there and important university updates are also shared in there. The Dutch lessons were a success. The lessons are interactive and gave them the chance to talk and learn in different groups. Renée and 2 Dutch members of the committee provide the Dutch lessons, which went well. We will continue this the next semester. The committee has been thinking about an activity for international members soon. Normally, we would go on city trips, so they will try to find something else to do in the weekend.

Max: How is the contact with internationals in comparison to previous years in general?

Renée: We have reached them better. There are a lot of them in the WhatsApp group and they got a lot of responses on the Dutch lessons. Not many internationals follow our social media and are a member or even an active member.

Max: So you think we have a nice base for next years?

Renée: Yes, I definitely think so. There still have to be steps made with this committee, but the base is there.

7.6 Membership benefits

Most has been said already. Last year, the contract with StudyStore was set. USA also joined this contract. It is nice that the contract is now extended. The deal with Chidoz is not in the report, because these arrangements have been made later. The contract has been extended, but it is not possible to use the deal for delivery. We will add that to the report. Two new sticker deals have been arranged and Renée will continue the search for new membership benefits. Some stores were interested, but are closed now, so they will be contacted again when they are opened.

7.7 Vacancy policy

We lowered the prices for the vacancy policy. All companies that approached us and we sent the vacancy policy to, did not have budget for that or were not interested. We did post all the vacancies on the website, but want to improve the policy for last year, so we can share more on our social media. We are still working on ideas for improvement.

Max: Do you want to get rid of it or lower the prices? Last year, we wanted to try it, but if it does not work, there is no point of keeping it.

Renée: I think removing it would be better, but we have to discuss it with the whole board.

Commissioner of Activities

Marlon takes the floor.

8.4 Committee of Informal Activities

Dominique: There was one point where you named the CFA instead of CIA.

Marlon: I will adjust that

Dylan: I have a question about 8.1. it says something about your aim to distribute activities throughout the year. There have been more activities in the past months than in the first months. I think you should make that more clear.

Marlon: I will adjust it as well.

Online borrel

During the borrel, easy drink games were played. Afterwards, different breakout rooms were created, so people got to know each other.

Pubquiz

In total 36 members participated and the Pubquiz took place online. To make it stand out a bit more, the committee came up with fun categories. After each category everyone went to breakout rooms to discuss their answers. 5 teachers participated. Teachers were emailed afterwards to thank them for their participation and for feedback and they really liked it.

Music bingo

Babylon contributed €1 to each participant. The costs for members was therefore only €2.50. 2 committee members were present at Van Buren to join the livestream. In total, 37 members signed up.

Christmas Beer Tasting

The dinner could not take place. As an alternative, we collaborated with Tappers. For €10,-, members received 3 craft beers. The Coop Molenstraat sponsored snacks. The bags could be picked up at the Babylon Room. The activity itself was a beer tasting. There also was a short Christmas quiz. In total 35 members participated.

DIESweek

The committee is now organising the DIESweek, which will be held online. The programme has been set and we will do different activities than we already did past years.

8.8.5 Sports Committee

The Ski Trip was cancelled, because the Department Board did not want us to organise the Ski Trip. We had contact with HUSK and changed the contract. This way, we did not have to pay the cancellation costs. We have to book the next two years our Ski Trip via HUSK.

The committee organised the Olympic Winter quiz instead of the Ski Trip. 13 members participated. The quiz consisted of different categories related to the theme winter. The winning team received Glühwein.

Dylan: In point 8.2, you say that only 8 first-year students became active member. Do you have an idea how to increase that number next year?

Marlon: We think that that is the result of the online Orientation Week. We will host a first-year activity and hope more members will be enthusiastic. There was a lot of time between the Orientation Week and the first activity. We will advise to organise something right after the Orientation Week, so they will immediately get in contact with Babylon.

Dylan: That is a good idea. I have another remark on the Ski Trip. I think it is good that you arranged this deal with HUSK. I am missing in the report that the university saw the announcement of the Ski Trip in the Babbel. I am missing the reflection of that you should have contacted them sooner.

Marlon: We were shocked about how they reacted. We did not see it coming, because we were positive about the possibilities to let it go through. I will add it to this part.

Max: There was a lot of reflection on this part and we saw a lot of things happening within this committee and nothing of that is said in the report. I want to see more about the contact with the committee. Also, I thought the new contract was for three years.

Marlon: It is for two years.

Max: In the minutes, you said three years. Then, maybe you said it wrong back then.

Maud: It is three years indeed, because we still had a contract running for a year. The new one is for three years and replaces the current contract.

Suzanne: I agree with max that it needs to be elaborated on more.

Marlon: I will do so.

8.6 Orientation Week Committee

Almost everything in the Orientation Week had to take place online. Due to bad communication from the university, a lot had to be arranged last minute. We have elaborated on the Orientation Week previous GMM. The university decide to grand the mentors money. However, the committee received less money. Now, it is decided that they will receive a gift card to equal the amount of money. The committee works on an online version of next Orientation Week. They are thinking of things that can be organised when a physical Orientation Week can be held. The university learned from the bad communication and gave each association their own contact person. The contact with the university only goes via this person.

Dominique: I would like to see in the report the evaluation of the Orientation Week. I did not read anything about the problems with Zoom. Also for the evaluation of the CIA, you mainly name facts, but not how everything was received and if it was a success. Especially for the beer tasting and the borrel I would like to see more.

Marlon: The Orientation Week was evaluated on during the last GMM. Therefore, I kept it short, but I will do it again.

Dominique: It does not need to be super long, but just mention there were some difficulties.

Suzanne: It is in the minutes of the GMM, but needs to be in the report as well.

8.7 Weekend Committee

We chose 'Spring break' as the theme. Now, we are focussing on the programme. The Weekend will cost €60,-. The bus is booked, but can be cancelled until two weeks before departure. The committee is now thinking of a plan B. Probably, we have to cancel the Weekend. If that is the case, we will organise several activities in Nijmegen. There will not be thought of a completely online activity, because we cannot find not a good substitute.

General questions

Suzanne: You have to look to the headliners. They sometimes differ throughout the report.

Maud: I have spent the whole weekend on it and I could not fix it, but I will look at it again.

Statement of the Advisory Board

Max takes the floor.

On behalf of the Advisory Board, I would like to say something about the past year. It is a strange year, but the board is doing a good job. They are finding their way and some activities needed an online substitute. There are good and creative ideas. The social media is going great and the way of keeping contact with members as well. The contact with Sports Committee could have been better, but I hope you learned something from that. The BM looks very good. We are proud of the board, the Publication Committee and the Graphic Design Committee. If the board and the committee work hard, the Study Trip will also be fine. We think for the next semester, that everything will be fine.

Maud: Thank you. We really appreciate your input and feedback.

Dylan: I just wanted to say that I have massive respect for your positive energy. Also, a big compliment to all committees and their creativity.

Vote on Semi-Annual Report '20-'21

Max: I am going to vote in favour, but you have to change the things we said earlier on. I doubted because some things had to be in there, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Maud: Indeed, we obviously have to change some things, so we will definitely make sure to do so.

Total number of voters: 20

Vote in favour: 14

Vote against: 0

Blanc vote: 0

Withhold: 6 (32nd board)

The Semi-Annual Report has hereby been approved.

W.C.T.M

Question Round

Dylan: I have a question about the voting on the change of the House Regulations. The next GMM is the change of the board and during that meeting, the Advisory Board is also already voted for. We cannot vote on the House Regulations is the same meeting.

Suzanne: You can fist vote for or against the change of the House Regulations. If it is voted in favour, you can proceed adding the external member. If not, he or she cannot be in there.

Maud: I guess so too. I am not sure if that is possible.

Dylan: Is it not weird that the external member does not know if he/she can be in the Advisory Board.

Suzanne: You can also vote on the Advisory Board during the Financial General Member Meeting.

Dylan: Can it be done another way?

Suzanne: If you plan an additional GMM, it could be done there.

Maud: I think it is best to do that, because then there are no difficulties during the change of the board GMM. We will check the statutes first to see if that is possible and we will pick a new date in a couple of weeks to vote for the House Regulations.

Closing

Maud thanks everyone for the feedback, tips and attendance. Maud closes the meeting at 9.57 pm.