

Minutes Semi-Annual General Member Meeting

Date: Monday 14 February 2022

Speaker: Anna Bos

Minute taker: Imke Janssen

Present: Dylan Zeevaart, Quirijn Somers, Renée Christophe, Maud Weijers, Daan van Velzen, Klaas Kant, Marèl Teunissen, Maud Hagens, Elsze van den Wittenboer, Daniël Heijboer, Coen Esselink, Lloyd Hooghwinkel, Jeroen van de Sande, Michiel Copal, Sam Helmink, Ella Kuka, Niek van de Minkelis, + 33rd board.

Total number of people present: 22

Agenda

1. Opening
2. Setting the agenda
3. Approval of minutes Additional Financial General Member Meeting 04-10-2021
4. Announcements

5. Presentation House Regulations
6. Vote on House Regulations
7. Results Semi-Annual Survey
8. Presentation Semi-Annual Report '21-'22
9. Vote on Semi-Annual Report '21-'22
10. W.C.T.M.
11. Question round
12. Closing

Opening

Anna opens the meeting at 6.10 pm. Anna welcomes everyone to the General Member Meeting.

Setting the agenda

The agenda is approved.

Approval of minutes Additional Financial General Member Meeting 04-10-2021

Total number of voters: 16 + 5 (21 in total)

Vote in favour: 14

Vote against: 0

Blanc vote: 2

Withhold: 5

The minutes are hereby approved.

Announcements

Anna lists the authorisations:

- Max Ploemen authorises Niek van de Minkelis;
- Tessa Stolte authorises Dylan Zeevaart.

The House Regulations are finished and will be presented during this General Member Meeting. Furthermore, the Cantus Codex is also finished and has been ordered.

Presentation House Regulations

[Anna continues]

I will start with a general introduction to the House Regulations. After that, I will go into detail on every article. We have used the House Regulations of other associations and the statutes of our association to make sure that the House Regulations are correctly formulated.

We will start with the first article with the general definitions. Are there any questions about this article?

Maud: I see in the House Regulations that a blanc vote counts for the votes that have the most votes. Does this mean that if the most people vote blank this go to the votes in favour?

Anna: No, this is not the case. If most of the votes are in favour, then it will be in favour. If most votes are against, then it will not be voted in. This means either one of the two. Specifically, with voting we look at which condition has the most votes and that will be the result. The blank votes are not counting for anything.

Maud: I think if you just count a blank vote the same as what most people vote, then why do you have the option to vote blank? Because people vote blank for a reason. If you add it to the part which has the most votes, it becomes a different vote. For example, if ten people have already voted in favour the two people that have voted blank will automatically go to the votes in favour. I don't really see the point of this. It is a blank vote and not a vote in favour. Why do you count it with the total number of votes instead of just counting it blanc

Anna: A blank vote is basically that you are neutral. You do not vote in favour or against. This way it means that if the majority of the votes is in favour, then in favour will count as the outcome. It is not a vote on one of the two.

Maud: No, but that is why I think that it should count for the number of people who voted. For example, if 15 people voted and 2 voted blanc, then still the total number of votes is 15, but then the number of votes in favour is 13 and not 15.

Anna: Yes, that is true. It was just a way of explanation, because if you vote blanc you have a neutral opinion, so it automatically goes to the option with the most votes. It is not a vote, blanc still counts as a blanc vote.

Job: I think the confusion comes from 'goes to' because it does not go anywhere.

Anna: Yes, it does not go anywhere. The vote stays blanc. It is just the majority of votes that , because it is not an actual vote; it is neutral.

Maud: Then I think that it is not written down very clearly in article 1. It says a blanc vote is a vote that agrees with the option that has gotten the majority of the votes. For me that sounds as if it will count for an actual vote anyway. I would write it down a little clearer. At this moment, it comes across wrong in my opinion. I get what you mean right now, but you should write it clearer.

Anna: Yes, we have used some other House Regulations. It is quite hard to explain a blanc vote because it is quite a vague term. That is why we chose this definition. We have definitely thought about it.

Maud: Yes, I understand. However, I think it is better to write it down a bit more extensively. Maybe in three or four sentences. It does not matter if the text will then be a bit longer, as long as it is clear.

Anna: Thanks Maud we will look into this.

[Anna continues]

Is this all clear for everybody? Then I will move on to article two.

Article two is about the membership and the main things that I will explain now are that when voting on people, the majority of the votes in favour is necessary. Furthermore, when approving matters, the majority of the votes in favour is necessary. For changing the statutes, at least two-thirds of the votes in favour are necessary and the same goes for the House Regulations.

Are there any questions or remarks about this article?

Then for article three there are no things I need to explain at this moment. Are there questions or remarks about this article?

Maud: Not that I do not agree or anything, but again something that could be explained clearer. In 3.2.2 it says that the Chair will hammer in all the new board members except for the Chair. The Vice-Chair will hammer the new Chair in. However, something like that can be put in there a bit clearer. If you explain that the new Chair will hammer in all the new board members, except for the new Chair itself, you should make it clear if it is about the new Chair or the Chair of the old board. Right now, it does not really become clear from this sentence. I think it is better if it is written down more specifically.

Anna: Thank you for the feedback. We will look at that.

[Anna continues]

Article four is about the Advisory Board. We have based this article on the House Regulations of the 32nd board of Babylon. We have added five things based on the House Regulations of other associations. The first one is that the Advisory Board is assigned during the General Member Meeting. The Advisory Board can be voted in if at least two-thirds of the votes are in favour. The Advisory Board will give feedback on the minutes of the current board. The advice given by the Advisory Board is not binding. The current board has the final say in their decisions. The Advisory Board will select a chair that will make sure that the communication between the board and the Advisory Board goes smoothly. An anonymous vote will take place during the General Member Meeting, where members can vote on at least three people and a maximum of six people.

Are there any questions or remarks about this article?

Elsze: Yes, I have a question about the fifth point. It does not become clear to me if you vote on the people as a group or on each person individually. If there are six people applying for the Advisory Board, do I vote on all six at once or do I have to vote for each person separately. For example, I want to vote you in, but I do not want to vote in someone else.

Anna: This was already stated in the last House Regulations. It is mostly the anonymous vote that we have added. However, it could be stated clearer, I think.

Elsze: Yes, so do you vote on the group in a whole or separately?

Anna: No, you vote for individuals. We will specify this more.

Dylan: I have a question about the external member for the Advisory Board. Last year it was not going that smoothly. Have you thought about giving it a different approach this year?

Anna: We have thought about it, but we have decided to not change it yet, because it had only happened last year so only one year has passed. We want to try it again this year, with more promotion and highlighting it during the General Member Meeting. We have thought about a different way of how we could promote an external member, but we could not really think of an option, because you need two-thirds of the votes to be voted in. We did not think it would be efficient. We think it is too soon to change it after one time.

[Anna continues]

Are there any questions or remarks or on article five?

Are there any questions or remarks or on article six?

Then I will go on to article seven, the Babylon Magazine. Before we are going to the questions or remarks, we wanted to tell you that we have decided to do two editions of the Babylon Magazine instead of four. We will explain that later during the presentation. The main reason was sustainability. Are there any questions right now?

Daan: Why are two editions then more sustainable than four editions if there is also an option online. Would it then not be more sustainable to do it all online?

Anna: Yes, we have looked into that with our Semi-Annual Survey and via questions on our social media. Almost half of the people still like to read it on paper, and they do not like to read it online. It was too big of a change to do that this year already. We wanted to take small steps.

[Anna continues]

Then for article eight, the general part. I will briefly go over some highlights. First of all, a written request for a change to the House Regulations needs to be sent to the Secretary at least seven days before the GMM. Furthermore, at least two-thirds of the votes during a GMM are necessary for a change to be made in the House Regulations. Lastly, the board is responsible for keeping the House Regulations up to date. The document has to be checked at least once every two years to see if any changes are necessary.

Are there any questions or remarks on article eight?

Elsze: Did you consider the language use for gender? I know that a lot of boards are now updating their House Regulations to make sure that there are no gender pronouns.

Anna: I think in general we took that into account. We will go over that if we have done this correctly.

Elsze: Yes, because I mean that you should avoid using he or she.

Rianne: We were pretty general like: a member should, or the board should.

Elsze: Yes, it was just a general comment, but it would be nice if you could check it.

Anna: Yes, we will double check it.

Maud: I read 'person' in the House Regulations, so this is good.

Maud: I also wanted to say that for article 8.1, it is good that you put in the colour codes.

[Anna continues]

Before we are going to vote, are there any questions or remarks on the House Regulations in general?

Vote on House Regulations

Total number of voters: 17 + 5 (22 in total)

Votes in favour: 17

Votes against: 0

Blanc vote: 0

Withhold: 5

The House Regulations have been approved. We will take into account the suggestions that have been made and upload them on the website once they have been improved.

Results Semi-Annual Survey

[Anna continues]

We have chosen to tell you about the most remarkable outcomes that we want to take into account and that we have also used for the Semi-Annual Report. If you have a question, please wait till the topic is done and then raise your hand.

The first topic is internationalisation.

- Positive notes: We have an international in the board, a friendly & understanding attitude, fun activities, many meetings, information distribution.
- Room for improvement: More inclusion in friend groups and enforce the English-speaking rule more. We always try to speak English, but I think we can still work on that to make sure that everyone feels included.

The next topic is the activities.

- Quite a lot of people (88.7%) are interested in activities for specific study years only. In the beginning of the year, we decided not to do this too much so that everybody could get to know each other. We have hosted the Master Activity and the Second-year Activity in the beginning of the year.
- 60.4% would not join an activity if it would be online.
- Regarding the number of activities, 63.6% thought it was sufficient.
- The evaluation of the variety of the activities was between neutral (52.3%) and sufficient (40.9%).
- Furthermore, it has been mentioned that some activities were too much alcohol based. We will take this into account as well. This weekend we will go ice-skating with the International Committee which is not based on drinking at all. Additionally, during the DIESweek we have taken into account to not focus the activities too much on drinking.
- With regard to online/offline activities, most people (97.73%) voted that they have a preference for offline activities. I am also glad that we can be here in De Waagh in person and not online via Zoom.

Furthermore, the results of the Babylon Magazine were as follows:

- 59.1% reads the magazine.
- Online: 36.4% in favour, 36.4% against, 27.3% neutral.

The answers are even. That is why we still decided to offer it in two ways.
Are there any questions?

Dylan: How many people filled out the survey?

Nathan: 61 people filled it out.

[Anna continues]

As for connotations, or to say what people think about Babylon, they have mentioned that we are accessible, active, useful, supportive, pleasant, and interesting. They thought that our strengths were: thoughtful, organised, relaxed, fun, accessible, including everybody, and openness. That is very good to hear. We are glad that people think about Babylon like that.

With regard to the communication of Babylon, most of the people thought it was clear (72.7%) and sufficient (75%). Additionally, for the visibility they thought it was good but they suggested a personal invite or an information evening. An information session was held during the Introduction Week, and it is too late to have one now. However, we could look at the personal invite in the second half of the year and see if that works.

About the confidants, Sanni and I are the confidants of the study association. 58.5% was not aware that this was the case. We have posted it again on our social media a couple of weeks ago to make sure that people know it.

Are there questions about this part?

Niek: Can you go to the previous slide. Are there also things mentioned by people that are weaknesses?

Anna: They did not mention any weaknesses. There were some points of improvement in other questions, but in general there were no weaknesses stated.

Niek: Okay, nice.

Lloyd: What was meant with the personal invite in the other slide?

Anna: That was what somebody suggested, so maybe it was meant that people get a personal invite via email instead of a general post on social media.

Quirijn: I think it was meant for Facebook that you have the notifications on, but not many people use Facebook anymore.

Rianne: Yes, you can also put on your notifications on Instagram. However, this is of course up to the members themselves.

Elsze: Why did you choose board members to be the confidants of the associations. It could also be that there are issues with the board. If I had a problem with you, I would not go to the board.

Anna: It has always been this way, so we did not really think of this. We as Babylon are there for our members. If they have any problems with the board of Babylon, they can also go to the Faculty of Arts.

Elsze: Yes, but it is not necessarily on a formal level. It could also be an issue with the board for which you would not go to the faculty. To me it strange that board members are then the confidants.

Nathan: Would you then suggest that there will be an application for the confidants? That also members could apply and that they would be voted in just like the Advisory Board?

Elsze: Yes, I think that is a good idea. Then it can be someone who is still very present within the association but not on the top level.

Rianne: Would you then suggest doing one board member and one non-board member? That you still have someone from the board.

Elsze: Yes, then you still have an option to who you want to go to.

Lloyd: Also, a suggestion to have at least one international confidant, because this might be a bit more open for the internationals.

Anna: Yes, that is why we have Sanni as the confidant.

Lloyd: Maybe do then three people, one board member, one member, and one international, who can either be a board member or a member.

Anna: Yes, good idea. This can definitely be implemented.

Renée: I agree with Elsze's idea, but I don't think that a lot of people who are not the board would want to be confidant of the association.

Elsze: Yes, but I think that the bar should be low to approach the confidants.

Renée: You could always try but I am not really sure.

Nathan: Maybe you can also look into the Advisory Board to assign someone from them to be a confidant. Then this person was a board member but not a board member anymore, so they are more approachable.

Maud: I agree on that option.

Job: Is that something you would like to see in the House Regulations?

Elsze: Yes, I think it would be great to add it to the House Regulations so that when people read it, they will immediately know about the confidants. Furthermore, they would then need to be voted in if it will be members.

Anna: Yes, a confidant would then need to be voted in indeed. We have to do this during the next General Member Meeting.

Are there more questions or remarks?

[Anna continues]

People have suggested some points of focus:

- More offline activities (but we have to take into account the COVID-19 regulations, this is out of our hands);
- Full day activities;
- Study sessions (the Education Committee will look into this);
- Inclusivity (Internationals, Masters);
- More back talk with alumni;
- Cheaper events (it is not always possible);
- More dinners;

These are some points that have been suggested by our members. The main thing that was mentioned was to get to know more people outside of friend groups (terrace days, personal get togethers). It also mentioned that 31% experienced loneliness this year.

Lloyd: What do you mean with back talk with alumni?

Anna: Alumni are the graduates from our study. It means that you keep the alumni up to date about Babylon to make sure that we keep in touch with each other for both our benefit and theirs.

Semi-Annual Report '21-'22

[Anna continues]

We will now present the Semi-Annual Report of the 33rd board of Babylon. We will first take a look at the progress of the long-term goals.

1.1 Strengthen the bond between Babylon and its members and attract new members

The first part was about the Orientation Week. However, we have already evaluated that during the Financial General Member meeting. We have only picked out the things that might need some extra attention.

1.1.2 International members

At the moment we have 20 Active Members that are international. This is more than we had last year. One thing we want to focus on more is the inclusivity. We already tried to speak as much English as possible, but we think that there is still some room for improvement on that.

The International Committee has worked very hard to make the internationals feel at home. Rianne will tell us more about that in Sanni's part. The Get Together Event was a great success and this Sunday we have the Ice-Skating Event planned.

1.1.3 (Pre-)masters

We have 11 Active Members that are either pre-master or master students. This is also nice to see.

1.1.4 Babylon Magazine

This year we will only have one more edition in April. From next year onwards we will only have two editions, a summer and a winter edition.

1.1.5 Active Member Evening

The first AME had to be cancelled due to COVID-19. The next Active Member Evening will be combined with the last one.

Are there any questions?

Dylan: Maybe I am a bit early, but you are talking a lot about Active Members, and I know that a lot of members have quit, are you going to tell something about that?

Nathan: Yes, we will do this later on.

[Anna continues]

1.2 Strengthen the bond between the association and external relations

1.2.2 Recruiting new sponsors

We wanted to see if we could find a new head sponsor this year. We have not found one yet. However, we are actively searching. We have made a group chat in which we share our ideas so that Rianne can contact them. This is the task of the whole board. We hope that we will find a new head sponsor soon.

1.2.3 Sister associations

For the people that do not know this, these are the studies in the Netherlands that have to do with the communication. For example, we have Mycelium here in Nijmegen from Communication Science. We have planned a meeting with all the Chairs of all the associations. They will also organise an activity for all the boards to join but that is not for Babylon to organise. There is also a blog online now: ToCommunicate. They have worked quite hard on this, and it went live a couple of weeks ago.

1.2.4 Business gift

In the beginning of the year, we had mentioned that our business gift will be grow paper and the notebook. We have given them to companies and alumni who come to our events, they have been received well.

Are there questions about this part?

Niek: You mentioned that you were searching for a new head sponsor, but what are you doing to really find one? I know that a few years ago we were already searching for another one, but it did not work out.

Anna: We have made a group chat for only head sponsors. The last few weeks we have put our ideas in there. Rianne will approach them to see if they are interested in being our head sponsor. That is the first thing we have planned to do. If there are more suggestions about what we can do, then feel free to share them with us.

Niek: I was thinking maybe you can ask the university if there are companies that have contacted them. We have an alumnus on the university, maybe you can send her a message.

Anna: Thank you for the tip. We will definitely take that into account.

Renée: Do you have any updates about the Rabobank?

Rianne: I will tell that in my personal part.

Elsze: How many companies did you contact already?

Rianne: A lot, I am not sure about the exact number.

Dylan: What are you going to offer the company to become a head sponsor?

Rianne: We always have the normal things we offer. For example, the page in the Babylon Magazine, we put their banner on our website, they can put vacancies on our website, we promote them regularly on our social media, they are mentioned in our newsletter Babbel, we always invite them to our formal events where they want to be included. Does this answer your question?

Dylan: What makes it different from a regular sponsor?

Rianne: The head sponsor has a full page in the Babylon Magazine which is good for their promotion. The same applies for the website. They are also mentioned in the Babel which is our monthly newsletter (The Babel is sponsored by *head sponsor*). They have more visibility than the other sponsors. I always go into a meeting with a potential head sponsor with the question what they expect from us. For example, if they want an event that is in their name, we can see what we can do for them. It really depends on what the sponsor wants in return. It is a two-way street.

Niek: Are you considering multi-year partnerships?

Rianne: Yes, if it is a possibility we will. That is more stable for the association.

Dylan: I think it is a good step to meet as a board and see what we can offer them. For example, if you have the Rabobank, we always offer them interns which was really good for them. Regarding De Waagh, we host a lot of events there and all of our General Member Meetings. Tell them what extra you can offer them, because a lot of companies do not see the added value of putting their logo on the website for example. Providing interns and organising a lot of activities has a lot of value for the company and the association. That might be a good next step.

Rianne: Yes, thanks.

[Anna continues]

1.3 Improve the professionalism of Babylon

1.3.1 Professional communication

We have changed the House Regulations. This will improve the professional communication of Babylon. We hope there is more unity and clarity about what Babylon is as an association.

1.3.3 Babylon Room

We are still working with appointments, and we are following the regulations. We are following the regulations and we will see when we can open them again.

Elsze: You do no longer need to make an appointment.

Rianne: We want to safeguard the 1.5 meters distance. Therefore, we work with appointments. If the regulations are lifted, we will open it fully again.

1.3.5 Business cards

We still have the business cards. They have been handed out quite some times. Therefore, it is nice that we still have them, because they are very useful.

[Anna continues]

1.4 Improve and strengthen the image of Babylon

1.4.2 Study and student associations

I will explain something about this part. The Prom had to be rescheduled. It will be hosted on 20 April. We are organising it together with Mundus and Postelein. Regarding RUIS, we have promised in the beginning of the year that we should contact RUIS. This is the association for communication at the HAN. They have recently switched their boards. Hopefully, this board is more open to communication and collaboration. The 32nd board could not get into contact with the previous board.

Elsze: What do you hope to get out of a collaboration with them?

Anna: It is an HBO association. When people want to go to the university after, it might be a good promotion for Babylon already.

Elsze: For future reference, it might be wise to check the schedules of the other associations when planning an activity.

Rianne: To be clear, Elsze is referring to the Prom that has been scheduled on the same day as the SOFv General Member Meeting.

Elsze: It is just a general comment. It is quite important to be there.

Job: Yes, my apologies.

[Anna continues]

1.4.4 Sustainability

We have taken sustainability into account with a lot of activities. The Lunches at the Babylon Room have always been vegetarian and they have been received well. Only the 'knakworsten' were not received very well by everyone. The Lunches were always served on paper plates.

Furthermore, the Study Trip will be booked by train like we have mentioned in the beginning of the year.

Additionally, we have created a sustainable Cantus Codex. This will be ready to use at the next Cantus.

Are there any questions?

[Anna continues]

2. General Affairs

2.1 SOFv & LETO

The contact with these associations has been very well. Sanni and I always make sure to be present at their General Member Meetings. If there is any other duty regarding the board, then another board member will join so that always 2 people of the board are present.

Elsze: It might be wise to explain what SOFv and LETO are.

Anna: These are umbrella associations from the university. LETO is only for the Faculty of Arts. SOFv is for the whole university. They are here to give us advice and we can always go to them for help.

2.2 Advisory Board

The Advisory Board are people who have been a board member of Babylon and they give us advice on what we are doing. They always read the board minutes. At the beginning of the year there were some miscommunications with the Advisory Board.

Communication via WhatsApp is not always convenient. We have had meetings with them, and it is now clear what they expect from us and what we expect from them. The Advisory Board also has a statement at the end of this General Member Meeting. Then you will also hear their point of view.

2.4 Change of the board

We have established an Application Committee. It went a bit differently than last years. Previous years they had to make a motivation letter and this year we contacted them personally. This is a bit my mistake by not reading the script well enough. It could have been done better. As for the change of the board, tomorrow is the Board Interest Lunch. If you are free tomorrow, then definitely come.

Are there any questions about this part?

[Anna continues]

3. Policies per functionary

We will now talk about the policies per functionary. Everyone will personally explain their general tasks and responsibilities and how that is going so far. Furthermore, everyone will explain something about the committees they are responsible for.

3.1 Chair

[Anna continues]

3.1.1 General tasks and responsibilities

One of the main tasks I have is regulating the board meetings. In the beginning of the year, I had to get used to leading the meeting and getting organised. It has been going well. I have really grown into my function which is really great. Furthermore, I have given all the chair trainings to the chairs of all the committees. It is also very nice to see that a lot of chairs are present at this General Member Meeting. Additionally, I am trying to read all the minutes of the committees to make sure that I know what is going on in all the committees.

3.1.2 Babylon Band

Two years ago, we have started a Babylon Band. This exists of members of Babylon who play music. Some people have stopped which led to some trouble in the beginning of the year. Therefore, they have been out of practice and also due to COVID-19. Recently, they have started to get ready again. They are always welcome to perform at an event once they feel that they are ready to do so.

4.1 Publication Committee

I am responsible for the Publication Committee. As I have mentioned earlier, we will only have two magazines this year. We will look into something that we will do with the Publication Committee and the Graphic Design Committee. We have not looked into this yet so we will look into this later. The last BM is almost done and will be ready to go to the Graphic Design Committee.

Are there any questions about my part?

3.2 Secretary

[Imke continues]

1.1.4 Communication Tools

I am in charge of most of the communication tools. This means I am in charge of the social media: Instagram and Facebook. That has been going very well in the past half year. The thirty-third board has received a lot of positive feedback about the Instagram page of Babylon. Instagram is used almost every day. However, the board is making sure that it is not too overwhelming for the followers. The reels are also doing well and create quite some exposure; the board is planning on using these during the rest of the board year. The board has also encountered that a lot of members approach them via

Instagram DM. This is an easy way to get into contact with Babylon and the board is responding to them as quickly as possible.

I am also in charge of the website. There were some problems with the website. The website has been improved in various ways. First of all, the homepage was changed, since it was a bit unstructured, and words were crossing each other. The Babylon Magazine has been added to the homepage to promote reading it online. Additionally, the different forms for becoming a member and creating an account have been made more distinguished. This way it is easier for everyone to understand how to become a member and how to create an account for the website. Furthermore, there was a privacy issue regarding the Dutch version of the website and the pictures. It came to our attention that the pictures on the Dutch version of the website were not protected by a login screen. As soon as this came to the board's attention, it was changed. There were some issues with the data storage of the website. Therefore, the Secretary of the thirty-third board and the Treasurer of the thirty-first board contacted Smallhold. They have helped with reducing the storage of the website. There were also some small issues with the mobile and the laptop version of the website that have been solved immediately so that now both platforms are functioning properly.

3.2.2 The member file

The automatic function of signing up via the website saved the Secretary a lot of work. The Secretary only had to check all the data and approve a membership. Sometimes the data was not complete, for example, it missed a bank account. The Secretary did not approve those memberships yet and emailed the person first to make sure no members were added with missing data. Members that were already registered and had missing data were contacted. In case there was no response, the member was deleted.

4.2 Graphic Design Committee

The committee has worked very hard on the Babylon Magazine and all the content regarding social media. Not every form was handed in on time by committees which resulted in the Secretary having to make the content herself. This was a lot of extra work. Therefore, the committee made an extra information form and emphasised that forms should be handed in on time or the committee who requested it should make it themselves. From that moment onwards it has been going better.

Are there any questions?

Jeroen: Did you receive any comments about the use of Facebook? Because I could see a lot of general members who do not check Facebook regularly which was quite normal five years ago, but Facebook is not used daily anymore.

Imke: Yes, we did receive some comments. A lot of members are indeed only on Instagram and there are not a lot of members on Facebook anymore. However, we still decided to use it because it has the popup function of events, and we can invite people. Furthermore, on Facebook we have the Dutch and English version of texts. We are still using it, but I agree that it is not that relevant anymore because not many members use Facebook.

Daan: As a response on Jeroen's question. I think a lot of alumni of the study still use Facebook as social media and that might be nice to have them involved.

Imke: That is true, but we are mostly using LinkedIn to keep in touch with the alumni, because on Facebook we post the events for our regular members. That is Rianne's responsibility, she will tell you something about that.

Dylan: My compliments for how the social media looks!

Imke: Thank you!

3.3 Treasurer

[Job continues]

3.3.2. Budget

I will first tell you something about the budget. We have some expenses so we will update you about those. With regard to the upcoming expenses, we have a large activity planned. We have quite an idea of how much it is going to cost. We are only going to show the income for the activity, because we do not want to reveal too much about the activity yet. In the coming months there will be some hints for this activity. There will be more updates in the near future. For now, we think the budget is fine. The ticket price will not be too much.

Furthermore, another large expense is the Cantus Codex. We will use our sustainability budget for that. It will cost around 1300 euros. However, the university is willing to sponsor almost all of it for sustainability purposes. After we have paid the bill, we can send a request to the university, and they will cover the costs.

Additionally, we have planned a cantus for the RAGweek, it is always a large expense, but we will make up for it with ticket sales. Part of the ticket sale will go to charity. The RAGweek is a foundation that raises money for a good cause.

Moreover, we have the DIESweek coming up. Not all of the activities are fully organised yet. They are still a secret, but you will get to see them in the upcoming weeks. We have been in contact with the CIA for the whole process. We feel that we can host the whole week without any trouble.

The Study Trip is the biggest event this year and also the largest expense. We want to do the down payment to pay for the train and the location. We have to pay for the hostels and the train tickets.

Lastly, the Babylon Weekend. This is also a large expense, because we have to pay for the transportation and the accommodation. I am in contact with the treasurer of the Weekend Committee for this. We will make sure that everything will go according to plan.

3.3.3. Expenditure

First of all, we have decided to put some money into merchandise this year. We have added new merchandise and it was easier to buy a stock of it. We had decided to have some of the blankets and mugs in stock. We have also made a winter deal. You will get a discount of 4 euros for that.

Furthermore, we have had the amazing Ski Trip. The amounts we paid for the trip were below the budget we had made for it, so this was all going to plan. We had enough money to make sure the trip was a success.

Maud: How many blankets did you order for the stock? On what number is that based?

Job: We have 30 blankets. We assumed that 15 to 20 would go out straight away and that the rest could be sold later. We have talked about it, and we felt that 30 blankets was a good amount to start with.

Rianne: If I may add, the blankets are from IKEA, so somebody has to get them and therefore we chose to have less installation costs. That money will be wasted if you have to pay extra money for that every time. Hopefully, it will save us some money in the future.

Maud: How are the blankets selling?

Job: On the top of my head, we have sold 11 blankets. A few board members have bought them, and the sign-up form is still going. We thought it would sell out earlier, so it is maybe a little disappointing. However, they still have two weeks to order.

Dylan: Are you planning on promoting it more? If so, how are you going to do that?

Job: We have already made a promotion video for it. We have not considered further promotion yet.

Imke: We have thought about it.

Job: Oh, yes sorry we did. We are going to promote it again and hope that more people will buy it.

Dylan: How are you going to promote it?

Imke: We have thought about making another reel/story, in which we want to promote all the merch again. We were thinking about a number from Queen with "I want it all" to add to the reel with all the merchandise. Additionally, we want to promote it on Facebook, since we did not do that yet. If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

Rianne: If I may add, we also sell our merchandise in the Babylon Room. We hope that if the Babylon Room is open again and that people see the list there, it might result in more people buying the merchandise.

Maud: Another reel might not work since the first one did not lead to that many purchases yet.

Dylan: Maybe also add a bit more personal communication via group chats, etc.

Maud: The Babylon Room is also a very good idea.

Daan: It might also be an idea to sell them on the Introduction Market.

Rianne: We have already done this. We will definitely do it again next year.

[Job continues]

4.3 Study Trip Committee

It has been a very bumpy ride with the committee. We started out nicely, we had a lot of great ideas. However, we did not read the handbook well enough, so we were not aware of a few things. We were not aware of some costs, so we had to switch locations. Furthermore, the chair also stopped with the studies, so we did not have a chair anymore. I had to take over and that was not very convenient. Additionally, we do not have a lot of experienced people in the committee. I have not been on the trip myself, so we are working with the things we have. We are also in contact with former committee members so that they can help us out if we do not know certain things.

Elsze: Is it an idea to write down that the Study Trip Committee should have experienced people in it?

Nathan: If I can answer to that. Not many people were interested in joining the committee. I tried to ask as many people as I could. I felt like I had the bare minimum to make this committee and I did the best I could do.

Elsze: Did you write it down for your successor?

Nathan: Yes, I did. I will put it in my script.

Rianne: If I can add to that, it has been cancelled the last two years, so it was very hard to find people that had experience with the Study Trip that is still doing these studies.

Nathan: If it is needed next year, I can also join such a committee given my experience.

[Job continues]

The progress of the trip is going really slow. We have made some progress right now. The booking of the trip is also in progress. We have contacted all the hostels right now. The only thing we are still waiting for is the contact with the teachers. They reply very late to our emails. We do already have two teachers that want to come with. We hope to have it done by the end of the week.

Elsze: You need a letter from the teacher to get the subsidy for the discount.

Job: Yes, I have noticed that I was missing some information. I am working closely with the chair. They are very motivated and creative, but there has not been that much that they can do yet. We hope there will be no problems regarding organising the trip anymore. I will make sure that everyone will be involved again.

Does anybody have any questions?

Elsze: I have a general comment. Why do you not have a Semi-Annual Financial Report?

Job: Babylon never has that. I do not really know why to be honest.

Elsze: It might be nice to have a Financial Report in the Semi-Annual GMM. This way you can show the exact numbers just like at the last GMM to show what is going on financially.

Maud: Babylon does not do this like SOFv does it.

Elsze: It just might be a nice addition. This way members can also look at the numbers and might see things that the Till Committee does not see.

Job: Yes, this is a good idea. We can always add the outcomes from Conscribo. There will be a statement about that later. Right now, the programme is still very messy. We have found out that we can do it more efficiently, so we are going to reprogramme all of the documents.

Sam: To give feedback to Job. Last year we implemented the whole budget in the presentation. Most of the things are not that necessary to talk about. It is just the normal way things go. You can then discuss 10% about the budget but still show the rest.

Dylan: Does Elsze mean handing out the budget like we do at the switch GMM?

Job: Yes, we already had a Financial GMM in which we had some updates, but it is definitely a good suggestion.

Elsze: Yes, but I mean like a Semi-Annual Report to compare the budget.

Job: This is something I will put into the script for my successor.

3.4 Commissioner of Internal Affairs

[Rianne continues]

Unfortunately, Sanni is not able to be present due to sickness. I will try my best to inform you about everything that Sanni has been doing in the last half year. If you still have questions after this part and I cannot answer, you can always email or text her. She has also written down a statement**.

***Statement Sanni: My most sincere apologies for not being able to be present at this General Member Meeting. I have a high fever and a lymph node infection that has left me more or less functionless and with no ability to speak.*

In case my fellow board members cannot answer to all of the questions considering my personal parts, you are always more than welcome to text me or send me an email, so that I can answer your questions.

3.4.2. Consolidate the link between Babylon, the study programme and lecturers

One of the main responsibilities of Sanni is that she is the contact person of Babylon with the teachers and the study advisors. One of the things she has done is the Day of the Teacher. Together with Anna she went by the teachers to give them chocolate and our grow paper to say thank you to all the teachers. Most of the teachers really appreciated it. The teachers that were not there due to COVID-19 received it in their mailbox and they also sent an email to thank them. This was received really well.

Furthermore, Sanni has regular meetings with the Study Advisor to keep her updated about Babylon and the other way around. These meetings are evaluated really well.

3.4.3 Study Programme Committee

One of the main tasks is to keep in touch with the Study Programme and make sure that Babylon is involved as much as possible. One of the things she does is that she is a regular member of this committee. She is not there on behalf of Babylon, but just someone to make sure that the Study Programme is effective and as good as possible. It is not for Babylon specifically, but for the Study Programme as a whole.

3.4.4 Book Sales

This year we signed a contract for the next three years. There was another option with another company, but we have compared both options and this was the best one. This is company as we have been in contract with over the last years. Our members can buy books from there and we can offer them a discount.

3.4.6 Buddy System

The last part that Sanni wanted to mention is the Buddy System. We have introduced a new system this year in which an international student is paired up with a Dutch student to get them familiar with the Dutch culture and university. This year two first year internationals and one master international signed up. Some of the buddies meet up more than others. This is also due to COVID-19. Considering this is a new initiative, we think it is okay for now.

Are there questions about this?

Ella: I know a lot of people that were thinking about signing up for this, but they did not really know what was. They saw it once somewhere, but they did not really think about it again. It might be an idea to post it once more.

Rianne: Okay, good idea, thanks!

Dylan: It is too bad that Sanni is not here, but it is a true share that we have an international member in the board. In what way did you see the added value of this?

Anna: We have heard that from other members, but also from the Semi-Annual Survey. A lot of people feel more included now and more involved with Babylon. Some people even told us personally that they thought it was really nice that Sanni was included in the board. I think it is a really good addition that there is an international in the board. We are also trying to get an international in the 34th board.

Nathan: To add to that, we as the Dutch members of the board always try to think about everything and take the internationals into consideration. However, we are humans and we sometimes tend to forget some things. Luckily, we have Sanni and Sanni always makes sure that the international voices are amplified and heard.

Anna: We are really happy with her in the board.

[Rianne continues]

Next up are the committees of Sanni.

4.5 Education Committee

This committee is organising the Family Day which is in April. Hopefully this can take place physically, because might be nice that the family can join in real life. This way the family of members can see what we do at the university, what Nijmegen looks like and how everything is organised here.

Furthermore, they are always present at the Open Days. The last one was online, but they were present for the Q&A. Hopefully the next one can be physically so they can show people around.

Additionally, they are also in charge of the Study Choice Check Day which the university offers. This is something the university and Babylon offer to help high school students with their study choice. The committee is helping with this.

Lastly, it became clear from the Semi-Annual Survey that members still want the Study Afternoons. We will try to organise them in the next half year.

4.6 Committee of Formal Activities

They are mainly in charge of the Company Visits. We had a Company Visit at Bavaria. It was organised by the former CFA. However, the current committee was in charge at the event itself. Due to COVID-19 the next Company Visit was not possible. It was very unfortunate but not a lot of companies are interested in having a lot of students over if they cannot be with all employees at the company itself. In February we do have a Company Visit again. We are really happy that they want us to come. In April there will be another one which will be announced via the social media once it is arranged.

4.7 International Committee

Sanni and I are both responsible for this committee. Sanni is more responsible for the events, and I am more responsible for the Dutch lessons, so I will talk more about that in my part. For now, I will focus on the events. First of all, we have organised a Get Together Event where everybody brought food from their own country. This was really nice.

We also wanted to have a lot of informal drinks to let the internationals get to know each other, but due to COVID-19 it was not possible to host this. We hope we can host them in the second half of the year. Furthermore, Anna already mentioned it a little bit, but upcoming Sunday we are going ice-skating with the committee. That is a really nice, non-alcoholic activity. In the Spring we are going to the Efteling. They are going to plan this after the event of this Sunday.

Are there any questions or remarks?

Marèl: Will the Efteling be the same price, or will there be some discount for the tickets?

Rianne: We have not gone into much detail yet because there are still a couple of things to arrange. Looking at Ella as well.

Ella: We have a meeting tomorrow and we will then start to plan it and also look into the budget. Then we can give you some updates about that.

3.5 Commissioner of External Affairs

[Rianne continues]

3.5.4 Recruiting new sponsors

One of my main tasks is recruiting new sponsors. As already mentioned, we are currently looking for a new head sponsor. The contact with the Rabobank has always been a bit tough. I have a meeting with them in two weeks. Hopefully that will give us more clarity about their future plans and possibilities. We already established with them that it is okay to look for another head sponsor.

Furthermore, I have added three new sticker deals for Babylon: Boules and Bites Bar, Cotton Elements, and Strandbar Stek.

3.5.5 Vacancy Policy

Another important point that is worth mentioning is the Vacancy Policy. I have changed the Vacancy Policy to only 2 The Vacancy Policy and it has been sold nine times. That is very nice.

Are there any questions or remarks?

Maud: In the explanation it says that website visitors it is 600. This is 600 visitors per what?

Rianne: That is a good one, Imke will look into that after the meeting, and we will adapt it.

***Note: Imke has looked into it. We had already discussed this earlier when we had put it on the Vacancy Policy. It is just 600 website visitors, not per something. In general, 600 different people have visited our website.*

Dylan: What are you doing with the money from the Vacancy Policy?

Job: A lot of the money is used for the secret event that is coming up. We have not decided what big thing we want to do with the rest of it. Did that answer your question?

Dylan: Maybe spent the rest on some formal activities since you got some feedback on that.

Job: Yes, good suggestion. Thank you.

Renée: If I can also make a suggestion. Maybe also add the situation with Fresca to the Semi-Annual Report.

Rianne: For the ones that do not know about this, we had a collaboration with Fresca, but they were very hard to reach. I went by a couple of times, but the manager was not there. This Tuesday I have a meeting with them, and I will ask how they felt about the

collaboration and if it is maybe possible to extend it. I am also planning on making an overview with the deals and the dates on when they are valid to make good use of your sticker. All the other deals were prolonged without hesitation, only Fresca is little bit of a difficulty right now but hopefully I can solve that tomorrow.

Are there any questions or remarks?

[Rianne continues]

4.7 International Committee

I am in charge of the Dutch lessons of this committee. We have had eight lessons by now. The turnout is not very great. Not many people are interested, only the people that really want to learn Dutch are. Last Thursday we only had three people which was really low considering we have six people and they did not tell us if they were present or not. The teachers think that it is going really well. We are more practical than theoretical. We are trying to let them speak more Dutch as well. We have heard that last year it was more passive and that they were only receiving the grammar.

4.8 Career Committee

We have had a Workshop with Argus productions. This was a company that was active in the film industries. There is a nice Workshop coming up that is more communication related. This is because we have heard some feedback that people want some more communication related companies.

Furthermore, we have also hosted the Alumni Speed Dating event. It was a new event this year. It went really well. We hosted it in the Cultuur Café. It was quite informal, and you could have a chat with the alumni. It is really something that was a success, and it will be put in the script for my successor. An alumnus said that she liked it more than CIS in the Field. That is up for discussion of course, but it is definitely something that we should keep as an activity. With regard to the promotion there were some difficulties. Not with the promotion itself, but with the alumni. We had ten alumni in the beginning, but we ended up with only four alumni. There were some people who had COVID-19 and some who were not able to make it after all. For next year, we would advise to get into very close contact with the alumni.

Next up is the Career Event on which the committee will focus and also on the workshops of course.

4.9 Congress Committee

We are already busy organising this. We have already established a theme. For the people that do not know it, it is organised with Mycelium, and it is communication related. People that work in the communication field will come there and tell something about their work. The theme will be 'out of the box' which means that we will get companies that are not just related to communication that are pretty obvious. We want to get companies that you do not really think of that fast.

Are there any questions about this?

3.6 Commissioner of Activities

[Nathan continues]

3.6.2. Year Planning

We started the year with the Orientation Week. It was looking really great and regarding COVID-19 it was almost normal again. With our eyes on the rest of the year, we were pretty positive that we could organise a lot of activities like usual. Towards the end of the year 2021, we could not organise as many activities as we wanted to due to new measurements regarding COVID-19. However, we managed to organise some other

activities to make sure that we did not fail our members. We wanted to organise as less online activities as possible, because people do not like to participate online anymore. Therefore, we organised activities during the day as that was still possible.

We can improve the communication about our events. Most of the events are communicated correctly. However, sometimes a theme for a certain event was not communicated in the right way.

3.6.3 Committee Market

We hosted this online because of COVID-19. We created breakout rooms so that everyone could go by any committee they were interested in. Some breakout rooms were filled more than other breakout rooms, because people were more interested in other committees. If we still have to host the Committee Market online next year, we should make sure that everyone goes by every breakout room. It would be nice to make a schedule instead of letting everyone free to go where they like, to make sure that they know all their options. Hopefully they do not have to host it online anymore. We started with 75 active members, which is really great.

3.6.4. Contact with the Molenstraat

To begin, our local pub is no longer the Malle Babbe because it was purchased by an external party. The previous board had already highlighted that the communication with the Molenstraat is not going really well. They do not hold up the end of their bargain all the time, so we might need to look for another option. We also had another option with another organisation. After multiple conversations, we had received a better contract from the Molenstraat. When signing the contract, we were really clear that we wanted to see some improvement with regards to the communication. I have had contact with them for half a year now and I have seen that it has been improved. They come up with ideas and they hold up the end of their contract.

4.11 Committee of Informal Activities

We started with nine members, but two people stopped with the committee because they quit the studies. This is sad because it is right before the DIESweek which is a big event that the CIA has to organise. Luckily, we have found two extra members. We can go on as we planned.

4.12 Sports Committee

Two people stopped with the committee. One because of personal circumstances and the other because this person communicated way too late that they could not participate in the Ski Trip, which is a very big event of the Sports Committee. I resolved this by putting him in another committee. This solved the problem.

The committee and the board went on the Ski Trip. I could unfortunately not join. I have tried to get a booster, but it did not work. Therefore, I chose to stay at home. The Ski Trip went very well. I still have a call planned with the organisation to make sure that issues are solved for the next years.

Maud: How does the person that has been moved to another committee function now?

Nathan: We only have had one meeting now with the Orientation Week Committee, and during that meeting this person participated. I trust that this person will help the committee. If that is not the case, I will have a talk with this person.

4.13 Weekend Committee

We have found the location for the Weekend. We are now arranging transport for the Weekend, and we will announce something about the Weekend on social media soon.

4.14 Orientation Week Committee

We have begun to meet with the committee this month. I already had contact with the Molenstraat to set out the first things. I will make sure to have arranged everything on time.

5. Future

[Anna continues]

We also wanted to take a look at the future. With this I mean the upcoming half year that we are still a board. We have written down a few things that we wanted to focus on. First of all, we want to come into contact with RUIS as we have mentioned before. Furthermore, the head sponsor is still a big goal, we want to find a new head sponsor. Additionally, we are very excited about the surprise activity, but we cannot say anything about that at this moment. Moreover, we also want to organise more activities that are less alcohol related so that every member feels included. We will also take into account the feedback of the Semi-Annual Survey to make sure that we keep up with the promises that we have made in the beginning of the year.

Are there any questions or remarks?

6. COVID-19

[Anna continues]

Last year we were very positive that it would all be possible again. However, we still had to cancel some activities during the past half year. There will be some new measurements which will allow us to organise more again. We do not want to be too optimistic so that we might have to disappoint members. We will be very careful. We are prepared for different scenarios. This means that we have offline and online activities planned. We are following the regulations every time. We are very prepared and make sure that everything can take place as much as possible. We are also in very close contact with the university. Everything has been communicated with them. They are really happy with our open communication.

Are there any questions or remarks?

Statement from the Advisory Board

[Niek continues]

We as the Advisory Board think that you guys had to find your way into your position as Board of Babylon. At the start, we noticed that we sometimes had to push you into certain directions (not always without disagreement!) and we sometimes needed to help you in thinking like a board, but we have noticed the past few months that you really have taken up your responsibilities as board and you really grew into it. You show more confidence, and you make responsible choices, which is awesome, and we are glad to see it.

The past few months have had their ups and downs, both in your performance, our performance, and our communication, as well as your chances to perform with COVID-19. It looks like the coming months the world is opening more and more which must be really exciting you, but it also brings a challenge of course.

As said, you have grown into your roles and we are curious and excited to see where you will take Babylon in the next months, hopefully with loads of physical activities! Keep it up guys!

Statement from the Till Committee

[Niek continues]

Sam and I are very pleased with the first half year. At the start of the year, we decided that the Till Committee should have more knowledge about the ins and outs of the daily practices of the Treasurer, so we implemented the monthly updates and 2 more Till Committee check-ups. We are very positive about these additions, and we recognized their importance, hopefully Job too. Also adding the Chair of Babylon into our group chat gives an extra security.

Job has the committees under control, and we are confident of his capabilities to finish this year financially stable. We will finish the Conscribo unit before the next Till Committee check so we have much time for editing. We will involve Job's successor in the process to minimise the possibility of mistakes. Job, you're doing great. Keep it up!

Vote on Semi-Annual report '21-'22

Total number of voters: 17 + 5 (22 in total)

Votes in favour: 17

Votes against: 0

Blanc vote: 0

Withhold: 5

The Semi-Annual Report of '21-'22 has been approved.

W.C.T.M.

WhatsApp Group:

Lloyd: I think it is nice to make a WhatsApp group in which you can put announcements. This is because not everyone always looks on Facebook or Instagram. It will be a WhatsApp group where only the board can send messages. It will be admin locked. The link for the WhatsApp group can be put on the website for example. This way you can notify people about important events and stuff.

Nathan: We already have a group chat for the different year layers. We also place announcements in there. A third group chat might be redundant.

Lloyd: That could be the case, but if it is only specific announcements. It is a totally different group chat. It will not be spammed with nonsense.

Quirijn: I agree with Lloyd.

Lloyd: I got the idea from CognAC. I still look at the announcement chat sometimes. I think it is definitely a different WhatsApp group. It is nice and easy to be informed about all the important things.

Dylan: I agree with this.

Anna: Thank you for this idea. We will take this into consideration.

Ledger:

Sam: I think this is also worth mentioning. We do not know when it happened, but the ledger of the last few years is gone. We do not know where it is, but it has to be mentioned.

Elsze: Is it like only the cash accounts or everything?

Sam: No, only the cash accounts I believe.

Elsze: You can download those from Conscribo.

Sam: No, but we only need how much money got into what.

Elsze: So only the end results?

Sam: Yes.

Dylan: Would this not have been something for the Till Committee talk, not after the voting.

Niek: You did not have to vote on the Till Committee.

Job: It was already mentioned in the Semi-Annual Report as well. However, good that you still mention it. It is quite unfortunate.

Elsze: I think you have to make an official statement because if you want to change something in the statutes, you need the official numbers. You should write down that you lost it and do not know where it is. From this year onwards you keep track of it.

Anna: What kind of statement do you mean?

Elsze: This day we found out that it was lost and that from now onwards you will keep track of it.

Niek: It should also be visible in Conscribo so only the paper version is not present.

Job: It is also lucky that we do not use cash accounts yet. We have not used cash payments yet. However, if we do, we will make sure that it is registered correctly.

Question round

-

Closing

Anna thanks everyone for attending the Semi-Annual General Member Meeting.

Anna closes the meeting at 8.21 pm.