

## **Minutes Financial General Member Meeting**

---

Date: Wednesday 21 September 2022

Speaker: Lloyd Hooghwinkel

Minute taker: Sven Drosten

Present: Job Coehorst, Anna Bos, Lieke Verhoofstad, Sanni Granqvist, Sam Helmink, Rianne Zwarts, Nina de Kort, Quirijn Somers, Klaas Kant + 34th board

Total number of people present: 14

Total number of votes: 16

---

### **Agenda**

1. Opening
2. Setting the agenda
3. Approval of minutes General Member Meeting 8 July
4. Announcements
5. Updates
6. Evaluation Orientation Week
7. Evaluation Committee Market
8. Financial Report '21 - '22
9. Vote on Financial Report '21 - '22
10. Vote on current Treasurer staying in office
11. Financial Report '22 - '23
12. Vote on Financial Report '22 - '23
13. W.C.T.M.
14. Question round
15. Closing

### **Opening**

Lloyd opens the meeting at 7.11pm.

Lloyd welcomes everyone to the General Member Meeting.

### **Setting the agenda**

The agenda points

1. Setting the agenda
2. Approval of minutes General Member Meeting 8 July
3. Announcements
4. Updates
5. Evaluation Orientation Week
6. Evaluation Committee Market
7. Financial Report '21 - '22
8. Vote on Financial Report '21 - '22
9. Vote on current Treasurer staying in office
10. Financial Report '22- '23
11. Vote on Financial Report '22- '23
12. W.C.T.M.
13. Question round
14. Closing

### **Approval of minutes General Member Meeting 8 July**

Quirijn: I want to say that at the end of the minutes the number of votes is wrong, because some people left.

Sven: That is true, Quirijn, are you okay with me checking them and improving it on the website?

Quirijn: Yes, that is okay for me.

Lloyd: Okay, then we can move on to the voting.

Total number of voters: 11 + 5 (16 in total)

Vote in favour: 11

Vote against: 0

Blanc vote: 0

Withhold: 5

The minutes are hereby approved.

### **Announcements**

Lloyd lists the authorisations:

- Imke Janssen authorises Quirijn Somers.
- Elsze van den Wittenboer authorises Quirijn Somers.

Lloyd: What I want to mention first is that Daniël has left our course. He is still with Babylon, but I want to mention this to you first so that everyone knows what is going on. We will vote about this later.

### **Updates**

#### **Babylon Room Remodelling**

Lloyd: We have been working hard to make the Babylon room a nice place to stay for the members and I think we have really improved that. Especially by buying a TV and a Wii, these have caused many more people to come to the room and it has even been quite full lately.

#### **Prom**

Lloyd: We are still negotiating with some associations about organising a Prom here at De Waagh. Daniël has been having meetings with some other student associations, but it is still unsure which associations are going to join. One thing is sure, and that is that we will definitely organise it together with Postelein.

Quirijn: What other associations are you talking about?

Daniël: I have been talking to Bow, Mundus and Postelein.

Sanni: Is it possible to have a prom with all of the associations.

Daniël: We are still discussing that with them to see whether it fits.

### **Active Members**

Lloyd: Currently we are still looking for Active Members, we are making some progress and mostly after the Committee Market we held, about which we will talk later. We have around 40 sign ups right now.

Daan: Yes we have 46.

Lloyd: Yes, we are trying very hard to get people active and to have them join a committee.

Anna: Have you already done lecture talks?

Lloyd: Yes we have done a couple and we have three or four more planned.

### **Evaluation Orientation Week**

Lloyd: Overall the Orientation week went really well, we did a great job as parents and committee to be real enthusiastic to the new students about the study and the association. I think the week went really well despite some miscommunications and some organisational problems, but we think that the intro kids have not noticed that and we want to thank the Orientation Week Committee for their hard work.

Anna: What is the status of the goodiebags, how are you going to distribute them and when.

Lloyd: They are currently at the Babylon Room and we are going to make an Instagram post that they can pick them up there. We think this is the easiest way to hand them out to people.

Anna: When are you going to make that post?

Daniël: As soon as possible, probably Monday next week so most people will be on campus.

Sanni: You can also use the mentor chat, because maybe not everyone follows Babylon on Instagram already but they are definitely in a group chat.

Lloyd: Thank you that is a really good idea.

Quirijn: Why did we have to wait such a long time for these, because the Orientation Week was like a month ago?

Lloyd: We have had some problems with an external parties that was supposed to get some goodies for us, but they failed to deliver in the end. Also we wanted to hand them out at the after-intro party, but there were some other associations, there which could cause problems. And also walking around with the goodie bag the whole night would not be a good idea.

Sanni: You had some things in there, and I do not know which associations failed you, but now I think what was inside was a bit disappointing.

Daniël: For next year we have more budget for the goodiebags.

Daan: I know that it is not really a 'goodie bag' right now, and that is why we want to change the name a bit to something like: a tote bag with extras, so that the focus is more on the bag itself.

Klaas: Why not choose to hand out the bags earlier, because you could have known that after the first party not giving them out you would not do it at the second as well.

Lloyd: Yes we thought that we would do it at the second Borrel, because it was only a few days after, but then decided to do not do it anyway and now are here already, that is why it has been postponed a lot.

Anna: I think you should maybe create a deadline for picking them up, because then more people would go and pick them up. And I would also do it before the sign ups for the committees close.

Lloyd: Yes that is a good idea.

Quirijn: What are you going to do with the rest of the bags? Are you going to throw them away?

Lloyd: We will most definitely not throw them away, we will probably keep them somewhere and maybe use them at another time.

Rianne: We have used them as prizes last year.

Lloyd: That could be an idea to get rid of them, thank you.

### **Evaluation Committee Market**

Lloyd: We think the Committee Market went quite well and we received a lot of sign ups after the, even though we do not have enough sign ups yet, but we think it went quite well. We do not have enough sign ups yet, mostly for the formal committees, but we think we brought the excitement to the members at the Market.

Job: What is your plan to get more people to join a formal committee, since the deadline is coming up?

Daan: Currently we are doing the lecture talks, and we are trying to approach people personally.

Quirijn: There is a first year WhatsApp group right? You could also use that.

Daan: Yes we will do that as well.

Lieke: Are you also going to do lecture talks at the pre-master and master classes?

Daan: I had one there, and I asked them if they knew Babylon and nobody raised their hand, so it might be long shot, but we are surely trying to get them to join.

Anna: I think you have to make sure the picture wall is done when people pick up so people see how fun it is to join a committee. And what committees have more sign ups already than others?

Daan: We see that the Weekend Committee is the most popular, the Orientation Week Committee is also quite popular, just as the Committee of Informal Activities, and the Graphic Design Committee also has a lot of sign ups.

Anna: And which committees do not have that much sign ups?

Daan: We are looking at the Congress Committee, which is on zero sign ups so far. The Committee of Formal Activities has two and the Publication Committee has four.

Anna: Last year it was also quite hard to get people to join these committees.

Quirijn: So you have around 40 sign ups but half of them are for two or three of the same committees?

Daan: Yes, but there are a lot of people that signed up and said that they would do two committees at the same time.

Sanni: Maybe during the master activity you could promote it as well, mostly the formal committees because they are probably more interested in those.

Rianne: You should also look into how you promote the committees, because I saw on the Instagram that with the promotion of the committees an informal committee was always promoted first.

Sven: I have posted them, and I can assure you that they were posted at random, because I have posted them in the order I received them, but you could be right.

Anna: If you say that the pre-masters do not know Babylon already, maybe do a short presentation for them about what Babylon is.

Lloyd: Yes we already did a presentation for premasters.

Daniël: There were two things happening at the same time, and we then chose to go to the premaster activity.

Anna: You could maybe ask the student advisor to send out an email about the committees and Babylon so they can get the time to know us.

Lloyd: Thank you, we are going to look into that.

### **Financial Report Update '21- '22**

Lloyd: I would then like to give the word to Job:

Job: As you might know, my board year is already over, but my tasks do not disappear all of a sudden. Since my last report at the Switch GMM there have been some changes in my book year, so I am going to talk about the financial report from last year. Because we got a discount during the Orientation Week at a couple of different places, which made the Orientation Week Profitable. That normally does not happen. However, we have pumped up the budget from Babylon a little bit from last year. It used to be 350 euros, but now it is 500. Which is actually the difference that we have made a profit from

now. But that is only because of the discounts we got, otherwise the sum would have been 0. Are there any questions?

Sanni: What has happened to the extra 200 euros?

Job: There is no extra money, 500 euros were my calculations about what we were going to spend, but because of the discounts the 150 euros that I put extra for the Orientation week did not end up being necessary, without the discounts we would then have made a loss. We do think that the 500 euros is needed next year. If there are no questions I will then move on to the new result. There is now more money left for the next board, and the result is 1685,60 euros. There is only one more change, the Education Committee has spent 25 euros more on Cis in the Field. I will make sure to take a final look at the report before I put it on the website. Are there any questions regarding the Financial Report? If there are no more questions, I will give the word back to Lloyd.

### **Vote on current Treasurer staying in office**

Lloyd: Since Daniël has been kicked out of our course, we need to talk about whether he is fit to still be on as our Treasurer. In our statutes it states that in order to become part of the board, you have to be a member of Babylon and you have to participate in the studies. However, the statutes do not say anything about someone who is already a board member and then stops to take part of our studies. Because of this, we want to give you all the opportunity to vote on him staying in office or not. But first, I want to give Daniël the opportunity to talk about the matter himself.

Daniël: I have found myself in a bit of a tricky situation here. For me personally, changing studies does not bring any changes for me being a Treasurer within this board. I know that I have a busy year ahead, because I have to get my BSA al over again with the new studies, but I will make sure that this association does not suffer from this and I will make Babylon my highest priority.

Anna: If I can state something before voting, I think the past months you have done a great job as a board member, and I think it is worth that you would stay on as a Treasurer.

Lloyd: Okay, then we can start voting on Daniël.

Total number of voters: 11 + 5 (16 in total)

Votes in favour: 11

Votes against: 0

Blanc vote: 0

Withhold: 5

This means that Daniël is staying in office for the upcoming board year.

Daniël: Thank you all for voting, I appreciate that.

### **Financial Report '22 - '23**

#### **Income**

## Minutes Financial General Member Meeting – 21 September 2022

Lloyd: Then I would like to give the word to Daniël, so he can inform you about the financial report of '22 - '23.

Daniël: Thank you Lloyd. To start of, there are some mistakes, because we got the last money from last year, which Job just elaborated. I only received the last couple of invoices since last week, so I had not enough time to change the budget anymore. I will change this before I put it on the website.

Some other big changes, Rabobank is staying as a sponsors, thanks to the hard work of Rianne. De Waagh sponsoring will most likely be reduced, Lloyd still has to have the final meeting but the chances are high that it will be reduced from 1500 euros to 1350 euros.

Quirijn: Why will this sponsoring be reduced?

Lloyd: They have told me that they are experiencing some rough times right now, and that they are not making enough profit from us right now.

Daniël: The rest of these numbers are not just random but have been collected from the budget of last year which has proven to be sufficient for every post. Are there any questions?

Sanni: I have a questions about the vacancy policies, because I believe during the last GMM it was talked about setting our expectations to zero and all the money that came in would be a bonus, but now I see that there is money there?

Job: That is true, and we have discussed this, but the vacancies sell themselves right now and that is why we are confident that we can already put this on, and the rest will be extra.

Rianne: Why is it under the post Sponsorship? Because the other things are certain incomes and the vacancies you cannot estimate beforehand right?

Lieke: But the whole point of a budget is estimating what is going to happen, based on the last few years.

Rianne: I was expecting this answer, but you should then plan where this money is going to go there. Because you have talked about extra activities at the Molenstraat for extra sponsor money, but not were that is going to.

Daniël: No we are not, but you make a good point with the post not being at sponsoring but it should be a separate post.

Quirijn: Also the numbers do not add up and taking it from last year then you should just have changed. I think 300 euros can not be divided by 45 euros, which is the amount of money a vacancy costs am I right?

Daniël: Oh yes, I see now, I will have to change that indeed.

Anna: The reason we have had an additional GMM was that the remainders did not add up. What are you going to do with the extra money you have received.

Daniël: I think we will put most of that into the Festival.

Quirijn: Habe you thought of maybe putting some to the Lustrum budget?

Daniël: Yes, but we already have a buffer in that area so that is why we have chosen not to do that.

Job: If you have extra money, the lustrum year is a nice post to put it in because it is always necessary and it is easy to explain as well, and you are not just pumping money into thin air.

Daniël: Yes we will make sure that does not happen, thankyou.

## **Expenses**

Daniël: Okay, then we can move on to the expenses. Not all things are the same as last year. I have put more money to the committees. It has not all been divided due to some time troubles. Noticeable things, we have put some more money to the AMA's so that we can thank our Active Members even more.

Rianne: It is 50 euros more, what big activity are you planning. Or is it only for the inflation?

Daniël: It is a bit of both, inflation plays a role here, but that is also for every post that you see here and for the committees especially.

Anna: How about business cards, because they come from Groningen but it costs a lot of money to deliver them to Nijmegen?

Daan: We have talked about it, and Sven offered to pick them up some day.

Lloyd: I am doubting the use of the business cards, since we have no real external this year, and most contracts have already been renewed. Also since being an external is not my primary function, and we are not going to actively look for new sponsors the upcoming year, it might be a good idea to skip the business cards this year and use the money elsewhere.

Rianne: I advised to do that this year. Because you are not looking for a real head sponsor and last year I only gave out about six or seven.

Anna: Why is it still in the budget then?

Lloyd: That is because I have not actually communicated this with Daniël already, but I discussed it with Rianne last Monday.

Quirijn: Why do some committees get more money than others?

Daniël: I have discussed it within the board and with the Till Committee, and we found out that some committees do not use a lot of money, because they do not need it. For example the Education Committee used a bit more money now, but usually they do not need it and some other committees do, for example, the Study Trip Committee, as a member said last GMM, we then can maybe look into flying instead of using the train, but it is really hard to make a real estimate about the committees.

Quirijn: But you just talked about the Orientation Week Committee not having enough money, why not give them a lot of extra budget then? Instead of dividing it over all the committees?

Job: They did still need 1500 euros extra from the members, but it is not enough money to really solve that problem.

Quirijn: Yes but it is still 300 euros more than two years ago.



Job: We only had that money because we did not make a loss on the Orientation Week.

Quirijn: It is fine to lose money, but this is a lot of money that you would have lost.

Daniël: I understand, but we needed to ask that extra money, because otherwise we would have been deeply in dept.

Anna: We saw that the past two Orientation Weeks we have lost money, so we want to try and avoid that for the upcoming years.

Quirijn: Yes but it is still a lot of money that you need extra.

Daniël: Yes, but as I said, we needed to ask 12,50 from every member, and we want to avoid that next year or to get that number higher.

Anna: The study trip, do you know if you are getting subsidy from SOFv, because then you might want to think about putting more money to that committee then.

Rianne: The uni has not decided yet on what they are going to do with these subsidy's.

Anna: Ah okay, and then the Job Market. Normally the Uni sponsors that, but did you already communicate that you want to change the concept, because they might not sponsor then?

Job: That is maybe something I have failed to mention, you could say that to them when you send this budget to them.

Rianne: How did you come up with this budget since you have never done this before.

Daniël: It has been based on last years budget, keeping in mind that everything has become more expensive. And we had more to spend than last year, so that is were this is based on.

Rianne: I do not think you should pay people to come to your Job Market, but the budget is significantly higher than before. Why is that?

Daniël: I have talked about it with the board en last years committee, and it is a lot of money, but we can then really pack out and attract a lot more members to come to the market.

Rianne: But it is a Job Market, and it should not change into a lecture.

Daniël: I know, but what we want is students to talk to people at the different stands about their jobs.

Sanni: But is that not really the same as Cis in the field?

Lloyd: The whole concept is not set up yet completely. We can look into getting companies here and have them pay to be here. I think that big companies will not pay to be there, but that we have to pay them. Also consumptions can be included or we could improve the setting. We would like to really make this a big event and that is why we put more money that post.

Sanni: Maybe if you do not know what it will look like yet, maybe look at the script we already have and maybe get some inspiration of that.

## Minutes Financial General Member Meeting – 21 September 2022

Daniël: We will talk about this in our board meetings and with the next committee.

Klaas: In addition to that, if you want to make it a big event, you will have to make it stand out from other career events.

Daniël: We will try to do that.

Sanni: I was wondering why there is still a 100 euros in the sustainability post.

Sven: I believe that during the last GMM, we said that we are currently not seeing anything that needs to improve, but that when we found something that we can immediately act on it and improve it right away.

Anna: You could then move it to unforeseen costs maybe, so that when you do not need it for sustainability you can use it for something else.

Sven: I believe that is exactly what you told us at the last GMM.

Quirijn: Will the Job market be organised by Career Committee? Why is there a double budget then?

Daniël: Because of the Lunch Workshops, based on the normal workshop budget from last year but now including lunches.

Rianne: I see that there are entry costs on the budget, what are those?

Daniël: Yes, these are the cleaning costs for the El Sombrero and getting the place at all.

Rianne: And there is budget for a flag?

Daniël: Yes we are going to get a new flag because this one is ripped apart already.

Rianne: I would then advise to get a nice one for formal activities and a CoBo one that can be ripped apart.

Anna: Do you have a budget for flowers for the master ceremony?

Daniël: They are on the next slide.

Quirijn: Last years budget was 80 euros to now 250 euros, where has that come from?

Job: Well we missed a lot of ceremonies with flowers because we could not afford it, and we do not want that to happen again.

Daniël: Yes we have already had one ceremony and it was already 40 euros.

Rianne: I had a question about the Teacher Day, what is the budget for?

Daniël: I did not know the university gave things out.

Daan: We thought that maybe it is nice to give something that has to do with Babylon next to the normal gift.

Sanni: We gave them chocolate and a tiny cards just for thanking them. It is a nice gesture and it was really appreciated.

Anna: I do think that the domain name SV Babylon has expired already?

Job: Yes it has already and it can be left out of the budget.

Anna: And is the budget for the magazine going to be 1000 euros?

Daniël: No it will be lower, because we have scaled down from four to two magazines looking at sustainability.

Anna: Have you already signed the contract with them?

Sven: No but I will call them soon.

Anna: I think that there is so much extra budget. What are you going to do with it? I would think you could buy something very cool because there is a lot.

Sanni: To add to that, last year we had a tight budget for the Member of the Month, maybe pump up that budget, since there is so much more.

Daniël: I will look into all of that.

Anna: You talked about making the festival budget higher, instead put maybe more money into the AMA's. In Utrecht they have a budget of around 800 euros. You can check with them.

Daniël: Are there no more questions about this side? Then I will move on the next slide. As said last GMM, the rent has gone up for this place from 50 euros to 75 euros. For room remodelling, 350 euros has been spent on the TV and the Wii. The unforeseen costs are really high, we have done this because of inflation, and we do not know what is going to happen with that.

Rianne: Why is there 240 euros budget for food and there are also lunches?

Sven: I think we have done that because during the last GMM a member said that the cookies go really fast.

Job: If you want to do something extra for food, you could just organise some moments such as a 'member hour' were you hand out a nice extra, a sort of 'sweet hour'.

Daniël: That is a really nice idea to get people to the Babylon room, we will talk about this during next meeting.

Anna: I talked about this before but have you thought about handing out sweets after the exams so people can relax a bit?

Sven: It might be good idea to combine these two ideas.

Anna: Is it not a bit much to organise an After Borrel Lunch every month and then also a Lunch Workshop every month?

Daniël: We do not think that, because the lunch after the Borrels is mostly for people that went to the Borrel, and the Lunch Workshops are another thing and a bit more formal. Also free food for the members can never hurt them I think.

Anna: Why do you have sustainability under the 34<sup>th</sup> board big goals, because it is not a big goal from you but from the 33<sup>rd</sup>. So you might want to change that.

## Minutes Financial General Member Meeting – 21 September 2022

Sanni: I have not seen food since the start of the year, and I have been there a lot. If you promise food to be there, then actually have food there.

Daniël: Yes we have noticed that too and we will make sure we improve that.

Quirijn: I have a question from Elsze, there is 500 euros for the room remodelling and everything together, because she thinks it is quite a lot of money for only a WII and a TV.

Daniël: Yes I understand, but we might have to get some more things for the WII still. Once we have done that there will be approximately 120 euros left, and we still have to look into what we are going to do with the picture board. Which will not cost 120 euros, but the improvements will come throughout the year.

Quirijn: Yes but then there is still a lot of budget left.

Daan: Daniël thinks that we have budget left, but I have looked into buying some WII remotes, and that might not be as cheap as we thought it would be.

Rianne: You talk about the picture wall, and ordering the pictures, but I do not see any printing budget. Not for paper nor for photos. How are you planning on doing that? Because Anna had her own free account last year to do that but you will not have that.

Anna: I have told Lloyd about printing from Quario.

Lloyd: You might have to refresh my memory about that.

Rianne: Then the 20 euros can be spent somewhere else I think.

Daniël: We were also looking into getting some new chairs for the Babylon Room. We could put some money in that post.

Quirijn: The uni will provide chairs for you, so please do not do that.

Daniël: That is a nice thing, we will look into that.

Rianne: I think that the Almanac Committee will start up next year. What will the costs be, because it is not in the budget?

Daniël: A member told me that the Almanac costs are within the Lustrum Savings.

Quirijn: You said you will put more to lustrum but I only see the 1000 euros?

Daniël: That is true, but we have decided that all the leftovers will go to the Lustrum year anyway, but these 1000 euros are mandatory.

Anna: I would keep it like this and put the remaining of the year to lustrum

Daniël: Yes we will do that.

Quirijn: I see the budget for the lunches are 350 euros in total? Why that amount?

Job: We have missed some last year, so that is why it is higher for this year.

Daniël: We have underestimated how many people came to the lunch on the first time, so we want more budget there.

## Minutes Financial General Member Meeting – 21 September 2022

Rianne: I think that it is not about the food, but about attracting people.

Daniël: Yes but I think that it would be a bit of false advertising then.

Quirijn: I think that is on them, because they are not eating out.

Daniël: Yes I understand. Okay, if there are no more questions, I will move on to the final balance. We still have 147,90 euros left, which is yet to be divided. Where this will go to, we are thinking about the Festival or the Lustrum Year.

Anna: You should take a look at how Synergy does this, because they host a big Festival every year.

Daniël: I will look into that. Okay, if there are no further questions, I will give the word back to Lloyd.

### **W.C.T.M.**

Lloyd: Is there anything that has come to mind during this GMM

### **Vote on Financial Report '22- '23**

Lloyd: Is there anyone that wants to make a statement before voting?

Anna: Please make sure that the easy mistakes are fixed, because that looks unprofessional and sloppy.

Lloyd: If that is everything, we can move on to the voting.

Total number of voters: 11 + 5 (16 in total)

Votes in favour: 11

Votes against: 0

Blanc vote: 0

Withhold: 5

This means that the Financial Report '22- '23 has been approved.

### **Question round**

Lloyd: Are there any questions?

Quirijn: There were a lot of mistakes in the email we got about the GMM and the documents were not complete or right. Please pay attention to those details because it makes you look unprofessional and it just looks really bad.

### **Closing**

Lloyd thanks everyone for attending the Financial General Member Meeting.

Lloyd closes the meeting at 8.32pm.